"Off the line" bog on Virage TX?

My Virage TX (1200 cc carb engine, high compression heads, waterbox) has developed a bog when you hit the throttle from idle. This bog never occurs when horsing around with the ski in spirited riding, and the ski runs great otherwise. It only occurs when the boat is idling for a few seconds or more, and you punch the throttle. Sometimes it will even stall. Since the ski is used almost entirely for pulling wakeboarders and skiers, it is becoming a real problem. The bog and be avoided by "feathering" the throttle a bit, but I would like to get the old punch back, and not have to worry about throttle technique when pulling up a skier. Where should I begin?

It's a JEEP thing...You wouldn't Understand dirtdude35's Avatar
    check your spark plugs. same thing on mine.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What has been done in terms of maintenance?

Have the old gray Tempo fuel lines been changed?

When were the carburetors last pulled apart and internally cleaned?

Plugs have been changed. I have never done any work to the fuel system. The fuel lines look perfect, at least from the outside. If they need to be replaced, what is a good source of line appropriate for marine use? As for cleaning carbs, I can clean 2 stroke dirt bike carbs with my eyes closed. Anything different here that I would need to worry about? Thanks.

+1
    If you are getting plenty of gas at mid range and at top end then it's probably not a fuel line issue. Odds are your carbs are running lean on bottom end. Start with finding out how many turns out your carb low speed screws are by turning them in until they stop turning...keep count on how much you turn each one and compare that to what the stock settings are which I think is 1 1/4 turns out...someone correct me if I'm wrong. Then turn them back out to where they were and then turn them 1/2 turn more. See if the bogging gets a little better...if so, then you are running lean. Keep turning the low speed screws out until the bog goes away. I wouldn't go beyond 3 full turns out. If you reach 3 full turns out and the bog hasn't gone completely away, then replace the low speed jets to the next size larger and reset the low speed screws back to stock position and start the turning out process again.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rpt50 View Post
    Plugs have been changed. I have never done any work to the fuel system. The fuel lines look perfect, at least from the outside.

If they need to be replaced, what is a good source of line appropriate for marine use?

As for cleaning carbs, I can clean 2 stroke dirt bike carbs with my eyes closed. Anything different here that I would need to worry about? Thanks.
    Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Replace gray Tempo brand fuel lines
    The Tempo fuel hose degrades internally, and can gum up the carbs with greenish goo
    From about 1994-2002, the factory installed gray Tempo brand fuel hose that chemically reacts where it connects to metal fittings, creating a greenish or bluish goo inside the hose that clogs the fuel system and carburetors, causing lean fuel delivery and burned pistons. The outside of the Tempo fuel line can look and feel just fine.
    Often associated with SeaDoo PWC, the same Tempo hoses were also used on Polaris and Yamaha PWC.

Where can I get replacement fuel and oil hose?
    Depending on the model you have you will need maybe 20 feet of fuel line.

Marine rated fuel line, that is compatible with Ethanol, is preferred
    USCG TYPE B1 SAE J1527 NMMA TYPE ACCEPTED (ISO 7840)
    J1527 A1 is also acceptable, and the A1 hose has a fire resistant outer coating
    SAE J1527 Type B2 (and A2) is for fuel tank vent hoses only, do not use B2/A2 for fuel lines unless it is also B1/A1 rated.
    From what I can tell, the current version of these marine fuel hose ratings is for up to E10 (Gasoline with up to 10% Ethanol blend)

Be sure the hose you use for the pulse line is stiff enough not to collapse under suction
    Also applies to the fuel lines from tank to fuel pump, which are also under suction

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to do some carb cleaning and fuel line replacement. I'm sure it's not a jetting issue, as it used to run perfectly, and I have never swapped brass or messed with the low speed screw(s).

Thread Information