BIGMAC

1998 STX 1100 cavitating help needed

Hello all - I have a 1998 STX 1100 hoping to get a little help with. Last year, it ran great all summer but right at end of season, heard a rattling noise from the pump. It went away and thought nothing of it. That was the last day we had it out last year then winterized it correctly. First time in this season, it started well and hit 7500 rpms like normal but did not get the same speed.....maybe 40 when last year, we were seeing 56. The most noticable difference was in the corners.....seems to be cavitating really bad. Still getting high RPMs but just not pushing water like it should. Seems to cavitate really bad. I know this all sounds like a jet/impeller issue but I cannot see or feel any damage to the impeller or housing. I initially thought the sound I heard last year was a spun bearing but then it went away ........so maybe debri in jet. I got the impeller socket and will pull the jet out but just hard to believe I am having such a big difference in performance without any physical damage. My questions are....1)how do I check for proper clearence between impeller and housing? 2) If I find excessive clearance between housing and impeller, has anyone ever used JB Weld then sand smooth to reduce the diameter? 3) If I have to replace the impeller for some reason, is stainless worth the extra cost? Thanks for your help

Sounds like your in need of a pump rebuild. the noise you was hearing was most likly the impeller banging around inside the pump housing(liner). Rebuild kit with a exchange impeller is around $115 bux

BIGMAC
    PEVO - thanks for responding. I assume this thing is all stock and the impeller is stock to which would be aluminum. Does the rebuild kit you referred to with an exchange impeller include an aluminum one or does mine have to be stainless? where do I buy the kit from? A link on here or somewhere else? What is BUX? Thanks for the help. I have 2 weeks to get it running good before a week on a lake.

Quote Originally Posted by mattmccoy View Post
    PEVO - thanks for responding. I assume this thing is all stock and the impeller is stock to which would be aluminum. Does the rebuild kit you referred to with an exchange impeller include an aluminum one or does mine have to be stainless? where do I buy the kit from? A link on here or somewhere else? What is BUX? Thanks for the help. I have 2 weeks to get it running good before a week on a lake.
    Go to the SBT rebuilt engines websight. The kit & the stock impeller exchange info is there

BIGMAC
    Well, just for those people cruising these posts looking for answers to their own skis........It definately was a jet issue. My jet bearings aparently went out and caused the umpeller to rub the wall and grind down some. I had a stainless impeller on it so was able to do the SBT impeller exchange ($25 plus shipping ......thats awsome) and a bearing/seal kit aosl from SBT. I was able to get the ski back on the water running great for around $100. If you ski is running slow or failing you on the corners but RPM's are still good........start with the jet!!

Thread Information