+1

First time GPr buyer

EDIT: Bought a 2001 GP1200R: Updated two posts below

I'm looking to buy a GP1200r or 1300r within the next few weeks. I'm shopping around and I've been looking here for a thread that tells you what to look for when buying a GP. Is there anything like this around here?

I'm familiar with skis, I'm just looking for common problems to look for when buying a GP. Obviously I'll be checking compression and taking a test ride.

I had one seller tell me that GPr's aren't rockets out of the hole like my 97 GP1200 was. He said I'd need a new prop and grate. Is this true? I find it hard to believe that it's normal to be sluggish.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by Tommy Pantsdown; 07-18-2010 at 07:52 PM.

once again I'm no expert but i see quite a few people complain of cavitation on their skis. I know my xlt had a ton for sure which i am addressing now. Pretty much reading up on it all you should see that you should do several things right away for your ski including a intake grate and pump plug kit mentioned in every thread ever made on the subject! Someone posted some sort of epoxy that they got for like $15 and said it was super simple and worked great instead of dropping $80 on a kit. Peep around and its out there... Double check the mods! I don't think there are any specific demons to watch out for that you aren't aware of.... Just look for broken bolts on the intake grate ride plate shoe, pump and motor compartment. That's all i can think of i was in your position about a year and a half ago. My biggest mistake was not taking a close enough look at the hull from the inside as well as the outside and missed a big trouble area that ended up costing me last summer's use.

You're on the right track with the compression check. I would recommend two things: First, take your time. It's very easy to get excited about the first thing you see. Especially if you've never had a ski before. Second, use this forum to educate yourself on what to look for/common issues. Search and read as much as you can. Then use this knowledge to quiz the seller. That way you'll know if you're buying a well maintained ski. Good luck.

+1
    Well, I bought myself a 2001 GP1200r! I'm a little over whelmed but I think I should be able to pull off having a clean, well running ski for a good price.

The seller wanted $4K for it, he claimed the carbs needed cleaned. I rode it out of the marina and got to the lake, there were 1-2ft waves and the ski wouldn't really rev up. Seemed choked up. A decent amount of smoke was coming out and wouldn't move. I came back in after about 30ft.

I did a compression test, I had 95psi on all 3 cylinders. However I didn't have a wrench so I tightened it by hand so who knows. Maybe I didn't have a good seal on the gauge, maybe the engine is tired.

I offered him $2900. He refused and told me it has to be over $3K. So I told him $3K or I'm not interested. 20 minutes later it's hooked up to my truck and I'm driving home.

The plugs look like they were from the 1970's and I don't think it was really taken care of that well but it's very clean inside and out. He just didn't know anything about skis. It doesn't look abused at all. The bottom is mint, just some green gunk from sitting on a floating dock all it's life.

It mysteriously has a R&D nozzle, which I'm assuming isn't stock. I figured maybe someone broke the stock one boarding in deep water or something.

Anyway, I brought it home and tore it apart:

Pulled the stinger and the cat is SHOT! It's loose and wiggling around. Pretty clogged up. I'm going to pull the carbs off tomorrow and send them out to Oside Bill eventually when I get a few more bucks in the toy bucket.

DPlate and sensor are getting ordered tomorrow along with an oil block off.

I'm thinking in September I'll be doing the top end along with a few other things.

I really don't have any desire to do "go fast" mods right now, I just want a clean reliable ski to ride. I've wanted a GP for years and finally worked my way up to one. Pretty excited!

Here's a few pictures. I still need to clean it up really good, so I'll snap more then.

What do you guys think?

I figure for $4000-4500 I could have a fresh, clean ski as opposed to spending that up front and having a ski that will need all this anyway soo enough.

+1
    By the way, it has 89hrs on it and the trailer is pretty good. He bought it with the ski, he was the original owner. Definately not the best deal ever but I think in the end I'll be pretty well off with it.

Congrats. Looks like a good ski. With just a little work, it will be a great ski. Have fun riding!!

This is a great page to look through.

Some things you might want to do:
    -Pump Tunnel Reinforcement
    -Seal the Pump Shoe

+1
    Do you guys think it's ok to do a compression test with the stinger removed? I'm waiting on my D-Plate and I'd like to check it. I don't think it can cause much harm, can it? Or would the breathing of the exhaust effect the compression results?

wAVe juMpiN fOOl

i have 02 1200r

the choke suks on the gp1200r its on bottom. if u have boggin problems check choke. looks like good deal. they jump waves very well.hang on have fun!!!!!!

+1
    Sounds good! I'm pulling the carbs tomorrow or whatever day it doesn't rain. I want to remove them and do a primer kit anyway.

Thread Information