Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Different setting on highs on carbs

Why are the settings on the high speed circuit so different from each other.. It may look like this.. 3/8,
    1/1/8, 7/8 turns out? Why are they different? And why are the lows all the same? ie.... 1/2 turn out.?

This isnt a particular ski.. Just wondering why they are different from each other.. I thought they were like 3 little engines all connected by 1 crank. I would think they all should be the same.. I'm sure others would like to know why also..

Anyone have a REAL answer to this? It wouldn't be the circuits are different, there all the same! SEPERATE CARBS.! is it heat related? A triple pump will flow all the gas you need to any of the carbs.

+1
    i think it has to do with heat a little bit.. and every engine is different by a little bit

+1
    Thats not a good enough answer! lol NEXT!

Iasked someone the same question...got no reply.

I am confused by this also. I have been on another thread all week with someone else who is trying to get a 780 up and running because of this exact issue. One thing that I did notice that leads me to believe that it has something to do with the carbs themselves is that when reading the Clymer Manual to check the settings I found that the High settings varied on the 96 models but were all the same on 97 models.

Example: 1996 SLT780 is Low 1 3/8 and High 1 1/8 MAG, 7/8 Center, 1 1/4 PTO.
    1997 SLT780 is Low 1 1/4 and High 1/8.

I still don't get it.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe it has something to do with the firing order of the pistons.

+1
    That would have nothing to do with it. Pistons dont care what hole there in. maybe its actual fuel delivery thru the system under load. every carb has a location on the ski and the fuel lines routes gas to different carbs. some are longer routes than others, but i still dont understand why it has to be so different. once you hit full operating fuel pressure, why is there such a difference? there shouldnt be any.

even jetting is the same on most unless its tricked out.

+1
    im telling you its got to do with heat lol.. the way the the middle gets hotter then the pto and the mag gets hot from well the magneto.. this is what i have read before.. might not be all of th reason but part of it lol

Quote Originally Posted by ryandi2 View Post
    im telling you its got to do with heat lol.. the way the the middle gets hotter then the pto and the mag gets hot from well the magneto.. this is what i have read before.. might not be all of th reason but part of it lol
    I would agree, but then you have to explain the high settings being all the same on the 97 SL and SLT 780. No? The manual doesn't have any high settings listed at all for the 97 SLTX just 1 on the Low. I see you have one of those. What are the settings on that if you don't mind my asking? I am getting really confused with this and I am trying to understand it also.

Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    That would have nothing to do with it. Pistons dont care what hole there in. maybe its actual fuel delivery thru the system under load. every carb has a location on the ski and the fuel lines routes gas to different carbs. some are longer routes than others, but i still dont understand why it has to be so different. once you hit full operating fuel pressure, why is there such a difference? there shouldnt be any.

even jetting is the same on most unless its tricked out.
    I remembered reading something about the pistons that I thought may have had something to do with it. Whatever the reason is, it most likely contributes to these pistons getting holes in them often. I am just starting out with this thing and trying to learn a lot of information in a short time. The "Polaris" crash course, I guess you could call it. Maybe we can get an answer to the question from Polaris?

Quote Originally Posted by TopCop931 View Post
    No? The manual doesn't have any high settings listed at all for the 97 SLTX just 1 on the Low. I see you have one of those. What are the settings on that if you don't mind my asking? I am getting really confused with this and I am trying to understand it also.
    Never mind. I see the SLTX doesn't have a high speed screw. Your carbs make a transition when it exceeds the low range to a mid-range or high speed jet. That seems to be more convenient.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information