Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to green hulk, having problems with a GP1200 no start and voltage alarm

I Bought a pair of Skis this spring, a 99 Ultra150 and a GP1200.

So after having to replace the bearings in the jet on the Ultra, the GP is giving me problems.

The battery was starting its 3rd year, when we ran the ski out of gas, ended up towing it back, because we couldn't get it to start even after bringing some gas out.

So new plugs, new AGM style battery and we are constantly fighting it to start.

Finally got it out running today, stopped took a dip, got back on and it was fighting to start a LOT. After a few minutes of attempting to start it, I got it to run, but the battery voltage light/alarm was flashing and beeping the entire time it was running (10 minutes). Is this a battery in need of charging? or is it something in the charging system?

Also any tips on getting a bone stock GP1200 to start a bit better? Never messed with jet ski carbs with oil injection, but familiar with streetbike and dirtbike carbs.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ken

A couple of pictures in case they help. Floating down the Colorado with the girlfriend, and the ridicules overbuilt trailer that came with the Ultra150

+1
    I suggest rebuilding the carbs, if they have never been rebuilt, being its a 99 model its long over due. You can also remove the choke plates and add a primer kit.

Well this ski may have just taken the summer off. When I got it fired up yesterday seemed to run pretty well, but pulled out the compression gauge today, and #2 and #3 cyl. are at zero.

One cyl. shouldn't have been able to push me around so well yesterday.

Any tips on what piston kits to use? anything else I should do while I have it apart?

Ski has a bit under 200 hours on it. damn, this may have ruined the summer for us to go play now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by navynuke View Post
    Well this ski may have just taken the summer off. When I got it fired up yesterday seemed to run pretty well, but pulled out the compression gauge today, and #2 and #3 cyl. are at zero.

One cyl. shouldn't have been able to push me around so well yesterday.

Any tips on what piston kits to use? anything else I should do while I have it apart?

Ski has a bit under 200 hours on it. damn, this may have ruined the summer for us to go play now.
    If you send your stuff out right away to be machined, order your kits, you can have that thing running in two weeks.

Definatly needs some serious work, and its more an issue of money. I'm living on the GI bill after being laid off last year, and my GF is in a pisshole job, so my budget is pretty strict.

#2 and #3 pistons are both broken though, although the cyl. walls don't look bad. Also not sure if the head is salvageable either.

Some pics with the head off

#2 head

#3 head

#2 piston images

and #3 piston

at least I can turn my own wrenches on this, although going past here I need a manual as well.

Local shop got me a deal on getting the cyl. bored out, and ordering new Pro X pistons/gaskets. Should have this back together soon.

I have a few questions, the line that goes from the end plate, up to the zirc on the carb bracket pulled the nipple out of the fitting, does this unthread? or can I replace it with a regular ZIRC fitting to grease that area? I'll get pics tomorrow. Should be a .05mm overbore will be sufficient.

Any other tips or problems I should address while I have it apart this far?

Ken

The fitting that pulled out that goes to the grease hose just tap it back in good and jb weld it,mine pulled out that is all i did,need to check carbs and all fuel lines and fuel selector valve,for buildup,make sure your crankcase is cleaned out,all that metal probably got in the bearings and replace crank seals with Yamaha oem seals only,threebond 1211 to reseal crankcase halves.

+1
    That head is for sure toast, I'd start looking for a new one.

Well got the cyl. back on, that was a serious pain in the nether regions. My buddy came and helped. although it didn't help we were outside in 115 degree heat putting it back on. Other than torquing the cyl. down the rest of the ski is still apart.

Found the reason for the busted pistons as well, Carbs were way out of whack from previous owner plus crinkled diaphragms, put carbs back to stock and replaced the diagrams to get it back together and hopefully it'll run decently.

any tips on break in? just planning on some gentle use for 20 or 30 minutes let it cool and then another heat cycle with only mid range RPM.

Thanks guys

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information