Exclamation 1997 SL 780 Exhaust Overheating

Hi Guys,

I feel bad that I only post when something goes wrong.

1997 SL 780

Last time out machine didn't feel like it was running right, low RPMs and only about 40 mph top end.

We stopped and I could smell burning rubber and then we open the seat and the short exhaust hose is swollen to the point of bursting and we cant touch the waterbox or big exhaust hose.

Burning my hands I take that all apart on the beach assuming something is obstructing the flow of exhaust but all was clear and I have since learned it must be a water flow issue.

MFD hadn't shown HOT until I went to leave and picked up more seaweed. I stopped pulled it out and HOT went away but now ski would only top out at 25mph back to ramp.

Almost home I thought I heard the engine blow and shut it off and got towed in. I think what I heard was the exhaust hose come loose. Compression test shows like 115psi in each cylinder which is pretty close to what I had from day 1 with the new SBT motor (that is low isn't it? - But that is a different post).

So now I see the intake grate is covered in seaweed and I have pulled that all out and blown water back out grate to clean it out. So my question is ; could that clogged grate have been enough to cause my exhaust to overheat but not the engine? Or does there have to be another clog somewhere?

I have checked and blown through all the hoses that are easily accessible and all seems fine. I pushed a little wire through that orfice on top of exhaust. Should I take the exhaust manifolds off and check for clogs or should I just try it now that intake grate is clean?

Also I have totally blown those 2 hoses, they are melted on the inside and all bubbled up. Where is the best and fastest place to get those hoses shipped to Ontario, Canada?

Thanks for your help.
    ZiGz

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I would call John Zigler, see if he has the hoses on hand. He may be able to ship today.

Or start calling the remaining Polaris dealers in Ontario that still handle watercraft. One of them might have the parts on hand. I have ordered parts from Ottawa and Barrie Polaris dealers on occasion, when I needed something ASAP.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Did you also check and clean the small mesh screen filter that feeds the exhaust water cooling injection hose?

Thanks for the great info. I read that whole thread you posted but I am still a little unsure where the screen mesh you are talking about is.

Is this where they are saying to take the jet pump off to access it?

Also can Anyone think of somewhere I could buy that kind of rubber exhaust hose by the foot and make my own?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZiGz View Post
    Thanks for the great info. I read that whole thread you posted but I am still a little unsure where the screen mesh you are talking about is...
    I think it is item 8 (7052122 FITTING,SCREEN) in this diagram, but also check that item 10 (5020747 FITTING,INJECTOR,EXH) is clear.

Thread Information