Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 xp- still issues

Alright guys As I stated on an earlier thread I have rebuilt top end, carbs and replaced fuel lines in my new (to me) 96 xp. I am still having this issue- when I run WOT it will sometimes be fine, most of the time it will shut off at WOT. The mechanic I have working with me seems to think that the small tubes inside the fuel sending baffle are cracked causing a leak in the system and loss of pressure. Does anyone have any other ideas that save me from replacing this thing??

+1
    That would be a first that I've heard of that. If it's a fuel presure problem you should check the stop valves in the fuel pump. (these are easy to install incorrectly)

-When you say "shut off at WOT" did the gauges shut off or just the engine stopped?

-If the shut down was from piston siesure you should pull the head off and check for damage and also the piston/cylinder clearence. (at a min you should pull the rave valves, shine a light down while rotating the PTO to inspect the pistons/cyl)

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    +1 Engines that shut off running wot are seizing. What clearance were your pistons set up with? As Steach already instructed, pull your head and shoot us some pics of the cylinder walls.

I can pull the head soon and take pics, but I still remain thinking the issue is in the fuel system. I bought the ski knowing about this problem and the engine has never been taken apart, and I rebuilt the top end myself and know its right. Its almost as if it cant get enough fuel at high speeds? I have been reading over the service manual again as well and it mentions the squish gap issue. However, I believe that I have a #5 base gasket in there now so it should be good?

Squish has nothing to do with an engine dying at wot. Too tight of squish will result in detonation, which won't happen with a stock head. Why won't you answer my question about what clearance the piston to cylinder wall clearance was set up at? Telling me you know it's right only tells me you have no clue what the clearance is.

+1
    It might be a fuel problem that's causing siesures but you'll never know untill you pull the head. Take some pics before wiping off the pistons and after.

It should take ~ 15 minutes to pop off the head. (be careful with the o-rings that seal it to reuse them)

ya 96xpss sorry i misunderstood your question. I had the ski out and it ran fine for about 20 minutes before having an issue. It does not bog, struggle or any other noises. I believe the issue is more in the DESS post or wiring for the ignition system. I have ruled out nearly every other option. I have had my mechanic check over my engine and carb rebuilds and all is good there.

also i shouldnt say I "rebuilt the top end" I nearly replaced all gaskets because everything else was good.

Thanks for the clarification man. Please pull the head and look for aluminum streaks/smears on the cylinder walls. An untrained eye won't know what a seizure looks like. So get some detailed pics with each piston at BDC. Most likely the rear is the culprit.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mcrowe View Post
    also i shouldnt say I "rebuilt the top end" I nearly replaced all gaskets because everything else was good.
    mcrowe, welcome to green hulk.

Q: you nearly replaced?? as in almost?
    -if you mean "merely replaced", which gaskets? RAVE and carb or pipe and base gaskets too?

Have you checked compression?
    -please pull the head. unplug spark plugs and temp sensor, remove three water lines and 12 bolts. I was exaggerating at 15 minutes. it can be done in 7.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information