Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What is the differences in RFI and carb 787??? Think my 96XP has a converted RFI..

Is there any negatives to adding carbs to a RFI motor? This one has small core plugs inserted in the holes injectors would fit into.... or that is what it looks like to me... Just bought the ski not running cheap and figured out the motor is not stock. Is there anything to worry about, or issues that would make it not run like the stock motor? Thanks

Anyone? Would it have different sleeves installed? Or can you just plug the holes like this? I have no idea if it came from someone like sbt or someone did it out of their garage.. I cant find any info on this subject yet.... Thanks

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    post a picture of the engine...I dont think that a RFI engine would fit in a 96XP. even if it did you would have to replace everything, harness, MPEM, ect.

It doesnt have the fuel injection on it...Its carburated... What would be the difference in the motor alone?

+1
    internally I know the crank is different. Of course the RFI has a throttle body and fuel rail.

maybe they just used a rfi head to replace a messed up stock one and then plugged the holes...

pics will tell the truth.

Well it's the jugs that have the holes, not the head... here is a phone pic. You can see the small core plugs installed and where it appears the fuel rail was once installed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0702000937.jpg 
Views:	596 
Size:	169.1 KB 
ID:	203941

You bought it in non running condition. What did you find out about it that made you pull the engine? Low compression? Bore, stroke , rotary valve timing seem to be the same. There is a little diff in the rotary valve timing but it is not enough that it would fall out of the +- window. Ign. timing however could possibly cause a huge problem if the right components are not used for the computer. Making sure it's getting oiled properly would need to be figured out. Also let it be noted Im comparing specs from the manuals I have at hand. One of them is for 96 xp. Maybe they blew up what they had and this was the cheapest thing they found to replace it with did it themselves and just didn't do enough research to do it right? Or got into it and realized it just couldn't be done then sold it. IDK .

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I think that Id try and find the fuel rail and injectors and see if it will fit....Ive never seen this done before

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    You bought it in non running condition. What did you find out about it that made you pull the engine? Low compression? Bore, stroke , rotary valve timing seem to be the same. There is a little diff in the rotary valve timing but it is not enough that it would fall out of the +- window. Ign. timing however could possibly cause a huge problem if the right components are not used for the computer. Making sure it's getting oiled properly would need to be figured out. Also let it be noted Im comparing specs from the manuals I have at hand. One of them is for 96 xp. Maybe they blew up what they had and this was the cheapest thing they found to replace it with did it themselves and just didn't do enough research to do it right? Or got into it and realized it just couldn't be done then sold it. IDK .
    Pulled because the ski had caught fire when motor installed... picked it up cheap and my xp had the counter-shaft eat through the block... I only found that it was not the stock motor after pulling out.... Have not checked compression yet but thats next on the list... I just want to make sure the engine will work in my ski before installing....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information