Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cyilinder sleeves

I have a gp1200r that needs a new or repaired jug. This motor also needs a crank so I am going to do a total rebuild. So I have a couple questions.

1. If I wanted to convert the motor to a 1300cc engine, Can I bore and re-sleeve the jugs with 1300cc sleeves or do I have to use 1300cc Jugs?

2. Where can I find Nikasil coated sleeves for 1200 or 1300? are all the aftermarket ones plain steel?

3. Where should I look for quality rebuilt Cranks?

Hopefully I have answered #3 on my own. I talked to Phil at crank work and he steered me into a new hot rod crank that has been trued and welded by them. I hope this will keep my lower half in good shape for a long time.

XLTNoob
    I recently saw a complete set of 3 1300 cylinders in the Green Hulk classifieds. The "proper" way is to bore it, and then send it out to be re-nikasil'd. You don't want to put performance mods on a sleeved engine.

Moderated
    hod rod cranks are very risky....as there are numerous failures noted on this board by members.

you are better off with a good second hand OEM crank thats been inspected and sorted by crank works imho.

as for sleeves, i wouldn't go that path because they don't distribute heat correctly, just keep an eye on the classifieds for a good set of 1300cc pv jugs...thats exactly what i did and my ski runs high 70's now with a ported 1300cc top end and i replaced my crank at 200hours with a good used OEM crank, i had it trued and welded and some seals replaced and it was all good.

also make sure you use new gaskets in your build, dont risk second hand stuff, dont forget to reject your carbs either.

if you do it all right you will get another 150-200 hours on high rpm fun out of her

Thanks guys,
    Izz0 Is going with 1300cc jugs all that has to be swapped to go to the 1300cc engine besides re-jetting the cards? will the stocl 1200cc head cover work?

+1
    60T head
    60T-10 head gasket
    60T piston kits
    rejetted carbs
    prop change/repitch
    pressure test kit
    tunnel reinforcment
    ppk kit

XLTNoob
    There's some questionability about Hot Rods cranks? I've had one since 2008 and havent had a single crank related problem.

1. Is the head cover the same an just the head different or would I need both?
    2. Is there a good aftermarket head or would I be better off finding a oem?
    3. Who should I use to re-nic?

Oh and what is a ppk kit? I did a search and found nothing. What does ppk stand for

XLTNoob
    #1 - Head and head cover are two different parts. Unsure whether the 66V head cover will work on a 60T head.
    #2 - Aftermarket "'split" heads are nice because you can pull each dome individually, however, a lot of the guys here prefer the stock one piece head.
    #3 - I've heard good things about Millennieum Technologies - http://www.mt-llc.com/

Sidenote - PPK stands for Pump Plug Kit. It's a kit that plugs all the casting voids in your jet pump and pump shoe for less cavitation on holeshot.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information