Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 gp1300r ride plate ?

Just need some input I tried out a riva ride plate on my gpr now all i did was changed ride plate and went out it porpised more than the stock plate ride was bad is this normal? Should I have went with both ride plate and intake grate or is the R&d plate better suited for this machine do most do both plate and grate at once? Reason I ask about the R&D plate is that they state one just for the 1300r.

You can use either plate. It is normal due to the plate having more angle. Have you stepped your sponsons? If not go ahead and do this. Do a search...very easy mod and it will help with the bouncing.

They all will bounce in the 40-50mph range...what you don't want is bouncing at top speed as this will slow you down.

You do need to change the intake grate soon. The stock grate is known to throw you off....especially when you are at higher speeds that the plate gives you. Mine almost threw my off around 68-69mph when all I had done was a ride plate.

Does anyone have any input on the pro-tec grates are they good or bad they dont look as aggresive as the r&d's grate.

+1
    Aftermarket intake grates are to help redirect the flow of water into your pump so that the pump will be loaded more efficiently. They really do not directly cause porpoising.

The R&D's seem to be the best all around intakes vs the Pro-tec or stockers.

It is the ride plate that causes the porpoising in many, many cases.

These components that you are installing are not just bolt and go type components. They have to be "tuned' or adjusted to suit your riding conditions and riding style. If your boat porposies to much (vs the stocker), then the simple fix is to place stainless steel washers on the mounting bolts furthest toward the back of the boat on the ride plate. This will reduce the angle of the ride plate and hence change the angle at which your bow is riding. Your overall top speed will be reduced slightly by using the washers, but you will still retain the hole shot that you gained with the plate. Keep adding washers till you get the ride that you like.

Many standard washers are about 30 thousandths. You should not need any more than 3 on each side to dramaticly change the riding characteristics of your boat.

I agree with Salty.

Plus you can also shim your trim tabs on all four bolts to settle the ski down. In my experience, small changes on the ride plate can make a noticable difference in handling. So add one washer and ride see how it runs.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mstngken View Post
    Just need some input I tried out a riva ride plate on my gpr now all i did was changed ride plate and went out it porpised more than the stock plate ride was bad is this normal? Should I have went with both ride plate and intake grate or is the R&d plate better suited for this machine do most do both plate and grate at once? Reason I ask about the R&D plate is that they state one just for the 1300r.
    welcome to the forum

Yup, I have the same dame thing! porpoising like a mofo!
    night and day difference comparing the OEM metal tabs with the OEM plate VS the RIVA unmodded plate and the OEM metal tabs...

so I`m also re-reading and refreshening the data to have a correct course of action.
    I`m going to shim the tabs down first., then test, if that doesn`t do it, shim the rear of the plate, then test, if that doesn`t do it, chuck the Riva plate in the recycle bin, and used what worked before...
    at a first glance i thought there was a larger step between the tabs and plate, but it appear to be pretty close to that of the R&D plate...

I took my riva plate off went with the R&D ride plate intake grate and the nozzle from R&D and the ride is perfect now no porpising the ride plate you have to shave a little off the pump bottom it seems r&d made the plate longer and angled it upward.

I took my riva plate off went with the R&D ride plate intake grate and the nozzle from R&D and the ride is perfect now no porpising the ride plate you have to shave a little off the pump bottom it seems r&d made the plate longer and angled it upward.
    so you never corrected the problem?

No not with the riva plate I think it was the problem maybe just got a bad plate but all the r&d stuff worked great.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information