2000 xlt 1200 Poppping at low speed to 4k rpm

Ok I have an xlt1200! Getting reading to rebuild the carbs. But not sure if that's the whole problem.

The ski wants to stall from idle to WOT. Fairly certain that is a carb issue. Once I get past that and go full throttle on up it's very responsive and fast. Coming back down around 4K and if I just slow cruise between 20-35 mph ecsp on the deceleration. I here a pop pop put put. It reminds me of a mild continous back fire but not loud like a back fire.

XLTNoob
    Have a qualified person go through your carbs before you tear up the thing.

Stop riding the ski! Sounds like you have a lean condition and you may cause a seizure. I would do a compression check to see if any damage has been done. Don't ride it again until it's fixed.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shogan View Post
    Ok I have an xlt1200! Getting reading to rebuild the carbs. But not sure if that's the whole problem.

The ski wants to stall from idle to WOT. Fairly certain that is a carb issue. Once I get past that and go full throttle on up it's very responsive and fast. Coming back down around 4K and if I just slow cruise between 20-35 mph ecsp on the deceleration. I here a pop pop put put. It reminds me of a mild continous back fire but not loud like a back fire.
    check for a broken reed pedal

The reason I"m asking is I"m paying a guy to go in and rebuild the carbs. But I"m just trying to figure out what might be the casue this problem (and make sure this is a problem). I'm thinking maybe the needle and seat's are leaking. I can't say it's hard to start. And it idle's ok. It's just the WOT from idle will bog like starving for fuel. Well fuel filter inside carb is likely suspect for that. But the put put or pop pop just doesn't sound right. The last owner blew up the water box in the back of the ski.

Here is a video not sure if you can here it very well.

It's the very low soft thuding mostly in the low rps range.

here is another you hear it real good in the begining

+1
    what do the plugs look like?

New plugs with just a couple hours run time. They appear to be gapped at about 1mm and I just ran it for few minutes with hose on the get a compression reading. Pretty much unchanged. My psi says 100 100 95. Shop said it was 110, 110, 105. Yes I know a top end is in my future.

You know the more I look at it one of these plugs is doing his own thing???? One of these plugs is different from the others???? ((Sorry to much seaseme street)). The other thing I notice about the #3 plug is it always appears wet.

One videon in the drive way on the hose

one more video just cruising around can't hear it as much

Plug 1 looks lean
    Plug 2 looks normal
    Plug 3 looks slightly rich

Thread Information