Yamaha FZS vs RXT iS

The FZS belongs to my nephew - it's all stock cept for the R&D grate bought from GH

My RXT iS has all of 8 hours on it...

We didn't race - not enough width in the only spot flat enough to GPS his FZS for the first time - just GPS'd both ski's back to back. Water was flat with slight ripples 50 feet off the break wall and a 20+mph cross wind...

The FZS GPS'd at 65.3mph with trim up and 2 bars on the gas guage

The RXT iS GPS'd at 67.3 with trim up and 4 bars on the gas guage (7940 RPMs)

Next time we're out, we'll drag race to see where this RXT iS fits in accelleration wise...

BTW - the RXT iS went over 8 hours today but still only 7940 RPMs so I guess there aren't more RPMs between 5 hours and 10 hours...should be able to get over 10 tomorrow but the forecast is 30KT winds over the next 18 hours so we'll see...

Cheers,

Ray

So...me and the nephew drag raced today - him on his FZS and me on the RXT iS. Thought FZS' were supposed to be fast off the line...

I hole shot him every time from idle whether it was me counting one two three go or him counting. Of course per our results yesterday you already mine is faster top end so by the time we chopped the throttle, I was 4-5 ski lengths ahead.

Mike (Awamori) is calling BS because the FZS is way lighter than the RXT iS but what happened happened. With the FZS on 3 bars of gas and me on 6 too...maybe his R&D grate is slowing him down some.

BTW - ski went over 10 hours today and I expected to see a major jump in RPMs but not so. Best I saw today was 7940 rpms @ 110kmh (68.3mph). The dealer did tell me the ECU won't be fully unlocked until I bring it in for the 10 hour maintenance check and oil change. I'm bringing it in on Tuesday...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinJapan View Post
    BTW - ski went over 10 hours today and I expected to see a major jump in RPMs but not so. Best I saw today was 7940 rpms @ 110kmh (68.3mph). The dealer did tell me the ECU won't be fully unlocked until I bring it in for the 10 hour maintenance check and oil change. I'm bringing it in on Tuesday...
    Ray, my "Maint Required" light didn't come on till 12 hours. I think your dealer is blowing some smoke about "fully unlocked" statement. The 10 hour check is simply, a BUDS reset of maintenence service time, oil+filter change, and inspect everything, tighten everything etc.
    If your dealer will let you watch the BUDS hookup, he can show the percentage time spent at each rpm range, very interesting!

You'll see more rpm with a 4" kanaflex type air intake. Don't expect your ski to change much after the dealer visit.

When doing tight turns and donuts, and you pin it at WOT, what is the max rpm you see? 8120-8140???

Hi JT,

My maintenance light hasn't come on yet so thanks for the info - I was wondering about that...we'll see what happens when I bring the ski in. I may not have time to sit and wait to watch them but yes - they'd let me see the buds if I wanted.

BTW, my daughter lives in Lewisville - I'll be coming to Irving on 17 July for a project management training class and will be there until 27 July. Maybe we can hook up and get a drink or something...

Thread Information