Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    14

    Help...water getting into cylinder 2 and 3

    Help, can a crack in the exhaust manifold allow water into the cylinders? Please don't laugh guys I am learning about these motors.
    What else would allow water into the cylinders?
    Two days in a row I had to drain the cylinders?

    Help me out Gentlemen.....


  2. #2
    WATER WOODY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Minden, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    10,664
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by stuntrider View Post
    Help, can a crack in the exhaust manifold allow water into the cylinders? Please don't laugh guys I am learning about these motors.
    What else would allow water into the cylinders?
    Two days in a row I had to drain the cylinders?

    Help me out Gentlemen.....

    Has the motor been apart?

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    14
    Hey WW, The motor has not been apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by WATER WOODY View Post
    Has the motor been apart?

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas City, Texas
    Posts
    1,249
    +1
    15
    More details.

    What type of boat?
    Stock?
    Did the cylinders fill while you were riding or while you were working with it on the trailer?

    The likely hood of 2 cylinders cracking at the same time and letting in water is low.

    All I can think of is water backing in through the exhaust, water ingestion through the carbs, and the head bolts to loose, allowing water into the cylinders via the head gasket.

    If these symptoms happen while on a trailer.....well then that's a different story.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    14
    Hey Salty, I have a crack in the exhaust manifold. The crackfaces number 2 and 3 cylinders. I tried JB weld on it, but it still leaks. The exhaust sits upside down so I guest the water runs straight into the cylinders. What do you think?
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    More details.

    What type of boat?
    Stock?
    Did the cylinders fill while you were riding or while you were working with it on the trailer?

    The likely hood of 2 cylinders cracking at the same time and letting in water is low.

    All I can think of is water backing in through the exhaust, water ingestion through the carbs, and the head bolts to loose, allowing water into the cylinders via the head gasket.

    If these symptoms happen while on a trailer.....well then that's a different story.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas City, Texas
    Posts
    1,249
    +1
    15
    That is the most likely scenario. Triple cylinder engines have a tendency to vibrate A LOT, and even though JB weld is a superior product, I don't think it would make the grade with this problem.

    Even with a good weld job, the manifold face needs to be dead on flat to correct for leaks... be it water or exhaust gasses which would mess up how you engine ran with an enclosed environment like a wave runner hull.

    Best deal would be to get a used manifold, and if I were a betting man, I would think that WFO either has a used one, or he know's where one is. It is a simple replacement, so spare yourself the heartache, use a crowbar and work that wallet out of your back pocket!!!!!

    By the way, the exhaust manifold gaskets are useable, so the cost involves just the pipe and shipping.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    14
    Thanks Salty...I'll give WFO a try. I got the crowbar out..LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by salty View Post
    That is the most likely scenario. Triple cylinder engines have a tendency to vibrate A LOT, and even though JB weld is a superior product, I don't think it would make the grade with this problem.

    Even with a good weld job, the manifold face needs to be dead on flat to correct for leaks... be it water or exhaust gasses which would mess up how you engine ran with an enclosed environment like a wave runner hull.

    Best deal would be to get a used manifold, and if I were a betting man, I would think that WFO either has a used one, or he know's where one is. It is a simple replacement, so spare yourself the heartache, use a crowbar and work that wallet out of your back pocket!!!!!

    By the way, the exhaust manifold gaskets are useable, so the cost involves just the pipe and shipping.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. slt 780 water getting into center cylinder
    By jasonsmithftw in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-13-2014, 05:40 AM
  2. Water coming into cylinders XLT 1200
    By MNAPR in forum Yamaha How To & FAQs
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-18-2012, 07:49 PM
  3. HX Water Getting Into Motor Please Help........
    By shkdwn387 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 08:15 PM
  4. Water getting into cylinders
    By Shogun2 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-09-2010, 07:39 PM
  5. can water getting into the air intake cause oily exhaust?
    By djpeetur in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 12:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •