2003 GTI LE RFI-- bogs after take off- won't power up- please help

Cousins have been using our ski's and said than ran great weekend before last then used them again the next weekend and they both have the same symptoms, start and run low speed fine, but won't power up.

What do I look for first?
    Bought new plugs and inline filters....
    Any other suggestions for a beginner and very novice wrencher?

By chance is your hull filling slowly with water while riding?

Haven't evne tried it myself but they did leave the plugs out once before when they borrowed them...?

While riding in my 02 GTi, One of my bolts came out (or just loose) of my exhaust pipe which then allowed water and exhaust to begin spraying into my hull. Once that happens, the engine is only able to use bad air to fire the engine and that doesn't work very well thus the bogging down at higher rpm when the engine is really sucking a lot of air.

Looking from the rear of the pump it looks like pieces of plastic on the outside of the impeller,
    I'm thinking this is the wear ring?
    They said one ski started cavitating and lost power, then the next day the other one did the same thing .
    Now both of them look like they have plactic or some sort of material on the outside of the propeller.....?
    Both of these ski's have about 80 hours on them 2003 models....

Quote Originally Posted by NPEWILL View Post
    Looking from the rear of the pump it looks like pieces of plastic on the outside of the impeller,
    I'm thinking this is the wear ring?
    They said one ski started cavitating and lost power, then the next day the other one did the same thing .
    Now both of them look like they have plactic or some sort of material on the outside of the propeller.....?
    Both of these ski's have about 80 hours on them 2003 models....

What were they doing? Beaching the ski's then starting the things with out clearing the pumps? Seem pretty strange that you would have two wear rings go at the same time. Not trying to slam on you but why were you loaning you skis to anyone? That's just asking for it IMO.

Your right.

Looks like I'm going to have to pull the pumps and replace the wear rings, according to the ops manual this is a normal wear item but says to take it to the dealer for replacement.

I am going to attempt this myself, is there any advice other than the tips already posted.

Quote Originally Posted by NPEWILL View Post
    Looks like I'm going to have to pull the pumps and replace the wear rings, according to the ops manual this is a normal wear item but says to take it to the dealer for replacement.

I am going to attempt this myself, is there any advice other than the tips already posted.

It will depend mostly on what pump you have. You might have better luck if you take a pic of the pump and re-post with a new thread. 1) It will bump your topic to the top of the list and 2) You can switch the topic of the thread. 2003 is one of the few manuals I don't have so can't tell you for sure how to proceed. For the most part though wear rings need to be cut in a couple places very carefully as to not damage the housing. It relieves the press fit then they pretty much will come out easy. However not knowing what pump you have don't quote me on that. I would make a How do I do this type thread and see if someone might know more about your year.

Thanks for the advise.

Thread Information