Question 2001 Virage electrical issue

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the 2001 Virage. Worked last season and this season will not turn over. Battery is hot so no problem there. Not sure what could be the problem within the electrical components. Only has 73 hours. Any advise where to start looking or know system failures? Thank you.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Doesn't turn over - you mean the engine does not do anything when you press the Start button?

Do you hear a click when you press start?

Short the two heavy red terminals on the start solenoid. Does it crank and start?

Thanks for responding. Yes I can jump between the 2 to start. Any other suggestions. Went to check the start switch on handle bar. took the screws loose but there seems to be something else holding the 2 covers from separation. Is there a plastic clip inside? I also went to the local shops here in Boise Idaho who were of no help.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
    ...Yes I can jump between the 2 to start...
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...Doesn't turn over - you mean the engine does not do anything when you press the Start button?

Do you hear a click when you press start?
    You didn't answer all the questions

No click when I press the start button. Correct, the engine does not do anything when the start button is pressed. I can start the engine by shorting out at the solenoid.

No click when I press the start button. Correct, the engine does not do anything when the start button is pressed. I can start the engine by shorting out at the solenoid.

i had similar issues with my virage last year , turned out to be my mfi . how does your look , mine had condensation in it ??

just a thought ??

+1
    No click when I press the start button. Correct, the engine does not do anything when the start button is pressed.

I can start the engine by shorting out at the solenoid.
    Which model Virage is this?
    two or three cylinder?
    Carburetor or fuel injected?

By-pass the MFI display. See if it cranks with the Start button.

How to unplug the MFI and still allow the engine to crank, start, and run
    If the MFI is causing trouble, or is just missing or unplugged, you can still crank, start, and run the engine using a bypass jumper

You can also by-pass the Start/Stop module, but first try the MFI by-pass.

Thanks for the information. Your diagnosis from miles away was correct. We have the 2 cylinder carburetor model. After reading the link you sent I take it the MPI part number is 3280292. Is there a preferred parts supplier to purchase from?
    Thanks again for your help.

+1
    Thanks for the information. Your diagnosis from miles away was correct. We have the 2 cylinder carburetor model.

After reading the link you sent I take it the MPI part number is 3280292.

Is there a preferred parts supplier to purchase from?
    Thanks again for your help.
    That would be MFI, not MPI

Glad to hear you got it running. Simply unplugging the MFI display and inserting the bypass jumper allowed the engine to start and run properly?

When the MFI display is plugged in normally, does it say 'Locked' or 'Enter Code' when you press Start?

If yes, then the security code has been activated. You can try the factory default unlock code of 1234. If the security code is unknown, it can be reset to the factory default. Info can be found in the links below.

According to the Polaris Industries online parts listings, the 2001 Virage 2 cylinder carburetor model came from the factory with the 3280365 MFI display, not 3280292. If your model has the manually operated Reverse lever, then you can use ANY version of the MFI display, from any Virage or Genesis model and year.

You can find good used MFI displays around. Our own Classifieds here on GH, and eBay of course. John Zigler is a well respected supplier of used PWC parts, and is also an active GH forum member.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

+1

Same problem

Hey guys,
    I think I have the same problem. I have a 2001 Polaris Virage TX with 3 carbs. I was cranking it over and everything was fine it just hadn't started yet (not uncommon). I was cranking and then let off the button to keep from over heating my starter then I hit the button again and nothing....no clicking, no screen,no nothing. I did crossover the solenoid and yes it cranked over just fine. I read the thread about bypassing the MFI and I tried that and nothing. How do you bypass the start stop module. I am thinnking that would be the next place to check. I traced the wiring from the start button down as best as I could and saw nothing that looked like a short. I am totally open to suggestions!!!

Thread Information