Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Polaris Virage... No Spark and no Electronic Reverse

Hello group... New to this site.. I just acquired two pwc's. The 2001 Virage would not spark but would turn over fine. After reading various posts I tried holding down the bilge pump button while starting. To my surprise the unit started... Now the unit starts every time without holding the bilge button??? Was it a quirk or an indication something is going bad? I dont want to get stranded at the lake. Also, the electronic reverse does not work unless I do the same with the bilge button. Is that normal? Do I need to hold it down for it to operate?? I don't have any operator manuals for either ski ... So in other words, the engine it starting normally now but yet the bilge pump still needs to be engaged for direction control...

Thanks Bill

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat1234 View Post
    Hello group... New to this site.. I just acquired two pwc's. The 2001 Virage would not spark but would turn over fine.

After reading various posts I tried holding down the bilge pump button while starting. To my surprise the unit started...

Now the unit starts every time without holding the bilge button???
    Was it a quirk or an indication something is going bad?

I don't want to get stranded at the lake.

Also, the electronic reverse does not work unless I do the same with the bilge button. Is that normal?

Do I need to hold it down for it to operate??

I don't have any operator manuals for either ski ...

So in other words, the engine it starting normally now but yet the bilge pump still needs to be engaged for direction control...

Thanks Bill
    Welcome Bill

Something is not right with your electrical system.

Until you get it fixed, do not go riding without someone to assist/tow your Virage if you get stranded.

The bilge pump and the electric reverse are supposed to work whenever the engine is running, AND any time the bilge button is held down.

Is this a carburetor or fuel injected engine?
    Two or three cylinder?

How old is the battery?
    Was it fully charged when you got the engine to start the first time?

BTW, click below for more info

+1
    Welcome to Green Hulk.
    I recently tested and verified a similar starting problem. By pressing the bilge button,it bypasses a drop in voltage through the LR module/regulater.And gives the CDI just enough voltage to start. After starting ,the pwc would charge the battery just enough to restart.

I would recomend a new battery.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    ...pressing the bilge button,it bypasses a drop in voltage through the LR module/regulator.And gives the CDI just enough voltage to start. After starting ,the pwc would charge the battery just enough to restart.

I would recommend a new battery.
    That was my suspicion too.

Thanks for the replys...

The bilge pump and the electric reverse are supposed to work whenever the engine is running, AND any time the bilge button is held down. OK,, It only works with the bilge button enagaged

Is this a carburetor or fuel injected engine? Carburetor

Two or three cylinder? Three cylinder

How old is the battery? Brand new with a 24 hour charge on it

Was it fully charged when you got the engine to start the first time? yes, and starts everytime now without holding the button down. Because I haven't had it in the water yet. Will the elrctronic reverse only with with the engine running or whenever there is power to the pwc?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazmat1234 View Post
    Thanks for the replys...

The bilge pump and the electric reverse are supposed to work whenever the engine is running, AND any time the bilge button is held down. OK,, It only works with the bilge button engaged

Is this a carburetor or fuel injected engine? Carburetor

Two or three cylinder? Three cylinder

How old is the battery? Brand new with a 24 hour charge on it

Was it fully charged when you got the engine to start the first time? yes, and starts everytime now without holding the button down.

Because I haven't had it in the water yet. Will the electronic reverse only with with the engine running or whenever there is power to the pwc?
    Are you sure it is a carburetor engine? Are the spark plugs sticking straight up from the top of the engine, or are the spark plugs angled towards the air intake?

Check the last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck. For a 2001 model, the last two digits should be 01.

You have two Polaris PWC - correct?

What exactly is the model/year we are talking about?
    What is the other model/year?

PERC electric reverse is supposed to work only when engine is running, OR bilge button is held down.

Something is not right, and I suspect it is the LR Start/Stop module.

Open up the electrical box. Find the large CDI module, and follow the Red/Purple wire that comes out of the CDI module. It should connect to the Orange terminals. Does it? Only applies to carburetor engines

Next, put a multi-meter probe on the Orange terminals. Put the other meter probe on Black terminals. With engine off, the voltage should be zero volts DC, or near zero.

When the engine is cranking (lanyard in place) or running, the voltage on Orange should jump up to battery voltage. It must be well over 10.6 volts. Lower voltage will result in no spark, or weak spark.

K447 thanks for your help in this matter..

Are you sure it is a carburetor engine? Are the spark plugs sticking straight up from the top of the engine, or are the spark plugs angled towards the air intake? My Bad... It is fuel injected/ They angle toward the air intake.

Check the last two digits on the HIN number plate on the rear deck. For a 2001 model, the last two digits should be 01. It is a 2001 according to the HIN.

You have two Polaris PWC - correct?Yes.. I have two. The one I am having issues with is the 2001 Virage. 3 cylinder/1200. The second one is a 1997 Polaris SLT X. 3 cylinder/1000

What exactly is the model/year we are talking about?See above
    What is the other model/year?See above

PERC electric reverse is supposed to work only when engine is running, OR bilge button is held down.Ok... The PERC electric reverse does not operate nor does the bilge pump run while the engine is running. Both will operate ONLY when the button is held down.

Something is not right, and I suspect it is the LR Start/Stop module.What is that? Where is it located?

Open up the electrical box. Find the large CDI module, and follow the Red/Purple wire that comes out of the CDI module. It should connect to the Orange terminals. Does it? Only applies to carburetor engines. Seeing that this is fuel injected do you still want me to run this test?

Next, put a multi-meter probe on the Orange terminals. Put the other meter probe on Black terminals. With engine off, the voltage should be zero volts DC, or near zero.

When the engine is cranking (lanyard in place) or running, the voltage on Orange should jump up to battery voltage. It must be well over 10.6 volts. Lower voltage will result in no spark, or weak spark.[/QUOTE]

On a side note(may help in the diagnosis?) I took both skis to the lake yesterday. The 1997 ran flawlessly, but the 2001 had all the same issues as stated above in addition to the ski did not have full power. The RPM's would not get above 4500. After about an hour of riding and checking the ski out there was a brief 30 second window that the motor seem to clear up and had full power and then went back to acting as before.

+1
    Lets re-cap;

We are working on a 2001 Virage TXi (fuel injected).

Engine currently starts normally without touching the bilge button - correct?

Bilge button must be pressed to use electric reverse, or power the bilge pump, even when the engine is running.

Currently the Virage TXi will limit itself to about 4500RPM. Is there a red lamp or warning message on the display? Does it say 'Reverse'?

Right now I am suspecting the LR Start/Stop module is failing. That would cause the symptoms that require you to hold the bilge button to get power to the PERC Electric Reverse system. Part number is 4010648

It is possible that the RPM limit issue is related, or it could be something quite separate.

You can do the following LR Start/Stop module by-pass testing;
    Bypass LR-505 module to diagnose lanyard out crank, lanyard in no-crank condition

Find the LR-505 module in the electrical box.

Disconnect all the LR-505 module wires connected to the terminal board.

Find the Black/White terminal on the terminal board, and move the only other Black/White wire to the Black terminal.

Note: This is just for testing, and needs to be moved back to the Black/White terminal after the test.

You have now by-passed the LR-505 Start/Stop module, and the only way to stop the engine is using the lanyard.
    The Start button will start the engine, but will not stop the engine.

Confirm that the engine now starts. Shut it off by removing the lanyard.

If the engine now cranks and starts as it should with the lanyard in place, and does NOT behave when the LR-505 is reconnected as it was before, then the LR-505 has failed.
    Note: This LR module bypass will NOT fix the issue with power for the electric reverse, but it does remove the LR module from the system regarding the 4500RPM limit problem.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Lets re-cap;

We are working on a 2001 Virage TXi (fuel injected). Correct

Engine currently starts normally without touching the bilge button - correct? Correct

Bilge button must be pressed to use electric reverse, or power the bilge pump, even when the engine is running. That is correct

Currently the Virage TXi will limit itself to about 4500RPM. Is there a red lamp or warning message on the display? Does it say 'Reverse'? Correct on the RPM's and there is no red warning light lit. And no messages on the display and it is not in reverse or partial reverse. ( I cycled the reverse to reverse and back to forward. Once it reached full forward the reverse indication is not on the display) I even put it in reverse and full throttled it and the reverese limiter kicked in.

Right now I am suspecting the LR Start/Stop module is failing. That would cause the symptoms that require you to hold the bilge button to get power to the PERC Electric Reverse system. Part number is 4010648 Best place to buy a new one that is reasonably priced?

It is possible that the RPM limit issue is related, or it could be something quite separate.

You can do the following LR Start/Stop module by-pass testing;
    Bypass LR-505 module to diagnose lanyard out crank, lanyard in no-crank condition
    Find the LR-505 module in the electrical box.

Disconnect all the LR-505 module wires connected to the terminal board.

Find the Black/White terminal on the terminal board, and move the only other Black/White wire to the Black terminal.

Note: This is just for testing, and needs to be moved back to the Black/White terminal after the test.

You have now by-passed the LR-505 Start/Stop module, and the only way to stop the engine is using the lanyard.
    The Start button will start the engine, but will not stop the engine.

Confirm that the engine now starts. Shut it off by removing the lanyard.

If the engine now cranks and starts as it should with the lanyard in place, and does NOT behave when the LR-505 is reconnected as it was before, then the LR-505 has failed.
    Note: This LR module bypass will NOT fix the issue with power for the electric reverse, but it does remove the LR module from the system regarding the 4500RPM limit problem.
    I will do this test in the next couple days when I can get it up to the lake for an RPM test run...

Quick question... You stated "Right now I am suspecting the LR Start/Stop module is failing. That would cause the symptoms that require you to hold the bilge button to get power to the PERC Electric Reverse system. Part number is 4010648"

I still need to perform the tests but was looking at the online catalogs for Polaris and they state that the part number for the TXi is 4010346 and the TX is the 4010648?? Did they do a part number change?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information