Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

got the gpr. pics inside. few random questions.

Ive been posting some. and i bought one finally. its an 01 gp1200r, 95 hours on it, all freshwater, bone stock minus a d plate and chip because the stock cat fell apart, and the seat has been recovered in the wrong shade of blueish.. been out on it twice, and the test drive i took before i bought it. compression is great, its like 120,122,118 or so. its all within 5-6 psi of each other. came with 3.5 gallons of yamalube, a cover, load rite trailer with new bearings, the water hookup.

so far ive washed it, ridden it, put br8es11 plugs in it (had br8es's in it) and removed about 893 caution stickers.

the bad: couple random scratches, seems to bog slightly from a stand still, and the foot matts are coming up. some pictures i grabbed real fast on the trailer.

questions. first up is hydro turf. i want the black stuff with the white hydro turf lettering, and the one that goes up over the caution stickers. is it better to call hydro turf to order? riva racings site doesent explain much. and then i gotta buy cement too right, its not included. one can enough?

seat cover. any suggestions? i like hydro turfs one, and the one that was on beerdarts old gpr. which ones not a arm and a leg expensive?

may do a bildge pump too, are they even worth it? i imagine if i roll it one day it would be handy. i would just do a manual setup.

thanks guys, here goes another hobby.

+1
    Your best bet is to order the turf from hydro turf directly. Def get the turf with glue on the back. Makes it so simple.

Def do the pump, that hull tends to be wet after riding, especially in the rough

Enjoy!

For what it's worth, I have Hydroturf and Jettrim seatcover on my skis. I ordered a Jettrim for my RXP. Didn't see a Jettrim for a GTI, so I ordered a Hydroturf for that. The Jettrim seat covers are much better quality. Thicker vinyl, better stitching and come much more contoured to the seat. Even the upholstery shop I had install them said for both being custom made for the seat, the Jettrim was higher quality and a lot easier to put on. Hydrotoys (I think him) has a great write up on installing seatcovers yourself. Seatcovers are the favorite thing I have done to my skis, they make them look different than stock and you can design your own.

Looks nice, congrats on the purchase

Not sure if you mentioned it or not, but did the previous owner reinforce the pump tunnel? If not, that is definitely something to search around the forums for.

Moderated
    imho you should do the following;

1 BD's seat cover is a Mline ( i know i have the same one on the same model ski, mline sells direct on ebay, about 150 dollars)
    2. reinforce the pump tunnel ( important to do as the tunnels are known to fail)
    3. get the carbs rebuilt ( thats your low end bog issue, they are old carbs and need some tlc, msg osidebill, he is the kig of GPR carbs around here))
    4. get the hydroturf with the sticky backing - using contact adhesive is a serious PITA, so is prepping the surfaces ( its a right of passage the same as a pump tunnel reinforcement
    5 get rid of the stock inake grate ad replace it with an r&d dual bar 1200 grate ( about 80 dollars second hand around here)
    6. step the sponsons ( a free mod listed 5000 times on this forum)

As for the bilge pump, leave it till you modify your pump and remove the stock bilge setup, you can get away without one until then but when you do get that that point just install a rule 500

hope this helps.

+1
    yeah i know i gotta reinforce the tunnel. im gonna start looking around for how to do that and what the best and easiest way to do that is. its a good thing knowing that hydro turf comes with the sticky on the back of it.

any more suggestions? you guys are all running 93 octane right? thats what ive been running. the fuel filter is the round canister mounted underneath the front ferring, or the one to the passenger side of that a little ways thats butted into the line? the handle bars seem a little loose, can i just loosen the nut on the bottom of that, and push it up so it tightens down ?

i think it needs a wear ring. any good links on those? it sounds great jumping wake and revving some out of water, but at idle out of water i think thats what im hearing.

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    yeah i know i gotta reinforce the tunnel. im gonna start looking around for how to do that and what the best and easiest way to do that is. its a good thing knowing that hydro turf comes with the sticky on the back of it.

any more suggestions? you guys are all running 93 octane right? thats what ive been running. the fuel filter is the round canister mounted underneath the front ferring, or the one to the passenger side of that a little ways thats butted into the line? the handle bars seem a little loose, can i just loosen the nut on the bottom of that, and push it up so it tightens down ?

i think it needs a wear ring. any good links on those? it sounds great jumping wake and revving some out of water, but at idle out of water i think thats what im hearing.

Dont waste your time trying to layup your own pump tunnel reinforcement, get a kit as i have heard of more than a few home jobs blowing out....just cop the cost, it aint that much.

as for octane, you dont need high octane until you advance the timing and increase head compression , in fact you will get better rpm with lower octane fuel while the motor is stock.

Stock GPR steering sucks btw, only way to fix it is to install a UMI steering neck, even my 2008 gpr is a bit loose.... :\

wear ring? one thing at a time dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its a goldern rule.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by izz0 View Post
    Dont waste your time trying to layup your own pump tunnel reinforcement, get a kit as i have heard of more than a few home jobs blowing out....just cop the cost, it aint that much.

as for octane, you dont need high octane until you advance the timing and increase head compression , in fact you will get better rpm with lower octane fuel while the motor is stock.

Stock GPR steering sucks btw, only way to fix it is to install a UMI steering neck, even my 2008 gpr is a bit loose.... :\

wear ring? one thing at a time dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its a goldern rule.
    i think it needs one man, i can handle a project. im a car guy before all else. so i can run 87 octane? or just do 89? i was planning on buying the kit. i just gotta look into how much stuff i have to remove and all that.

use normal car wax right? to wax the outside? ive heard turtle wax ice is good for fiberglass because its synthetic. confirm or deny? i typically use tech wax 2.0 on cars. can i buff stuff? like with rubbing compound? the hood on mine is rough and starting to crack.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yamaha GP retro.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	203798
    Quote Originally Posted by antoniodef View Post
    For what it's worth, I have Hydroturf and Jettrim seatcover on my skis. I ordered a Jettrim for my RXP. Didn't see a Jettrim for a GTI, so I ordered a Hydroturf for that. The Jettrim seat covers are much better quality. Thicker vinyl, better stitching and come much more contoured to the seat. Even the upholstery shop I had install them said for both being custom made for the seat, the Jettrim was higher quality and a lot easier to put on. Hydrotoys (I think him) has a great write up on installing seatcovers yourself. Seatcovers are the favorite thing I have done to my skis, they make them look different than stock and you can design your own.
    Here's a new Jettrim design not on their web site yet for the GP. cheers

+1
    So what's with fuel filters? Is it the hanging one underneath the front and the red one close to the rank? What is the canister that's clear in the front that's kind of ovular in shape. I workat advance and we sell a 3/8s generic fuel filter. Can I just replace both of those weird ones with one that I can change out?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information