Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2006 Kawasaki STX 15 F filling up with water...need help

I just bought this Jet Ski last week, and this was my first time taking it out, other than a short 15 minute test prior to buying. Rode it today for about an hour, no problems at all, saw 61mph on the dash. Then it lost power and would only go in the 50's and seemed like it wasnt getting up to power properly. I turned around and went to the launch and was way down on power, and I noticed the ski was riding low in the water. Turned the motor off at the launch, and looked in the engine compartment and saw it FULL of water. I pulled the ski out the water and removed the plugs to drain. I even had the very front compartment of the ski full of water.

After getting home, I hooked up the hose and ran the ski in the driveway and noticed when the motor was RUNNING, it was spraying water out of some black looking cover behind the motor toward the back of the ski. If you shut the motor off, it quit spraying, but was filling up the engine compartment while running. Anyone know what this could be? A gasket ? Bilge System ? I really dont know much about this thing, but after it screwing up after my first time out I am really bummed. Thanks in advance , Dave

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    there is a cover at the back of the motor, it covers the driveshaft, remove that and check the 2 waterlines that go into it, one of them was probably loose

Sean

Thanks, I will go look at that. Is that part of the bilge system ? Shouldn't that water have come out the craft ? Like I said I had ALOTT of water in it ..... Thankfully it still starts and appears to rev properly.

+1
    no, it's the cooling line to the stator

Sean

Sean ,

Thank you very much for your help. After pulling that cover off and fishing around I found the hose that completely popped off. I removed the air box ( drained a lil water out of it too) to give me the room I needed to get it back it on. I also drained a little water out the intake manifold. I pulled the plugs and spun it over, but it didnt appear to have any water in the cylinder. So shot a little lube in it, put the plugs back in and it fired right up. Again, thanks so much for the help, I guess it just shook me up for the first time taking it out for that to happen, hopefully it was just a fluke. Thanks again !!!!

+1
    You are welcome, I'm glad I could help, make sure you dont have any other lines loose before you take it out

Sean

Since the water got so deep in there, is it possible it got into my fuel tank ? Is there an easy way to drain it, because if you think it is needed , I will do it just to be safe...thanks

Highly unlikely. The tank is sealed except for a vent which is at the handlebar area so don't worry about water in the fuel.

Check your oil. If it is milky in appearance you got water into the engine. If this is the case you will need to change the oil a few time to flush all of the water out.

Thanks , I did check the oil , and all looked well. I have blown enough head gaskets on my Mustang to know exactly what milky oil looks like. I am gonna run it on the hose today, and will check the oil again. But I think I will be fine. Thanks for all the replies. Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information