Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

About the various rideplates.

This is nothing more than an informative post from my personal observations and testing.

Forget "packages" for a moment and try to look at the reality of what a plate can and cannot do.

The various rideplate results that have been modified, results will vary from ski to ski and rider to rider. I agree with others that say that rider weight, angle of plate, intake grate, pump shoe and trim tabs have a huge bearing on your speeds/handling. Not to mention water conditions, RAD and fuel level.

One thing you must do is find your "sweet" spot. Some compare their "handling" with some sort of explanation of what the ski does in the "chop"...which is gonna be different/subjective from water body to another water body. It is not a universal template of what this truely is, to each different rider and ski set-up. For me personally it is how the ski will handle in my Bay or bayou when 6" to 2'ft chop is present. To me personally, that is handling, if my ski can go through that without coming unhooked from the pump or porpoise @ speed.

The rideplate can make or break your ski to porpoise or be controlled in such conditions, we've all seen this. Mark (Hydrotoys) published a doc on his site which was the most complete and real life comparison that I have read to date..because he identified what EXACT conditions and EXACT set-ups he was running for each plate on HIS ski with a disclaimer.

With all the plates and Packages and set-ups available it's no wonder that we get confused. If you notice there has been no real significanet rideplate design changes from the casting or forging sizes/angles, just modifying existing plates (R&D, OEM, Pro tec etc) to "help" reach speeds. No plate, whoever mods it or changes it, will give you everything you need unless your overall set-up blends/matches with it. Just like every trim tab setting is different for each ski, the rideplate is no different. It has to be in concert with the other parts. You can put on a Kerry/Jim's/GroupK/Island plate and there ain't gonna be a gnat's hair difference in over-all modifications, one may be machined better or is looks better. If you overlook the trim tabs or pump shoe or intake grate or prop you will lose any potential gains that you would normally get with just a plate.And unless a tuner RIDES your ski, he will not be able to determine what that is. I am not saying that these plates cannot out perform each other (some clearly do) but you have to match your own parts and assess what they do.

I just wanted to put the focus back on the matching of your parts more than just," I am gonna buy this piece and go 2mph faster than the other plate." Or "I bought this person's rideplate and it did'nt work"

I have put trim tab settings on a KNOWN middle handling setting on a different ski than mine and the ski went porpoise happy. I would think that there is something wrong with the tabs themselves or intake grate...no. Every ski is different and there is no universal setting for every single GPR that works on every single GPR. I have heard some tell me that have put certain same settings on 10 skis and they all had the same results. Good for you. You got lucky imo. Each person/rider should be teaching themselves what their ski likes and dislikes as far as handling/speed combos and apply that.

I cannot ride without tabs and some swear they have the best "handling" in the world running without tabs and insane angles on the plate. Great, it never fit my needs and I did'nt like it, so I just don't go there.

The true geniouses of this sport don't quit testing and trying new things to achieve new levels of performance but they also don't shoot others trying too. To me, it's a shame that we forget that most of the riders do not have time to get out and test on their own but rely upon others to do it for them. I remember when I was just started riding/ racing skis 14 yrs ago and bought $$$ of stuff from well-known aftermarket companies that did'nt do what they were advertised to do. This is why everytime I start seeing these food fights and I-know-everything-thats-need-to-be known threads, I just cringe for the guys on the fence just trying to get better performance out of their skis.

We are in this sport together..come what may, we are in it together. Heck, thats why I would prod Jerry to test new things on the RXPoo that worked on a GPR..who knows it may have helped. The point was, we are in this together.

When you purchase a particular rideplate, please figure out what conditions you like to ride in, what the ski likes, what mods, what the ski has as far as parts and how to make them all fit together with adjustments. Nothing is universal...except that the YAMAHA "package" is the fastest-jet-ski-in-the-world package.

At least until next spring when I get a Kawasaki 250 and kicks ya'lls butts all over Mudbug!

+1
    It lives!!!!

Nice post Mike.

Edit: webpage Mike was referring to. It's probably not meant for you smooth water missle kind of guys.
    http://www.hydrotoys.com/gpr/pump.html
    Last edited by Hydrotoys; 10-04-2006 at 01:54 PM.

+1
    Good read

+1
    he's baaack !

Quote Originally Posted by Pistonwash View Post
    This is nothing more than an informative post from my personal observations and testing.

Forget "packages" for a moment and try to look at the reality of what a plate can and cannot do.

The various rideplate results that have been modified, results will vary from ski to ski and rider to rider. I agree with others that say that rider weight, angle of plate, intake grate, pump shoe and trim tabs have a huge bearing on your speeds/handling. Not to mention water conditions, RAD and fuel level.

If you notice there has been no real significanet rideplate design changes from the casting or forging sizes/angles, just modifying existing plates (R&D, OEM, Pro tec etc) to "help" reach speeds. No plate, whoever mods it or changes it, will give you everything you need unless your overall set-up blends/matches with it. Just like every trim tab setting is different for each ski, the rideplate is no different. It has to be in concert with the other parts. You can put on a Kerry/Jim's/GroupK/Island plate and there ain't gonna be a gnat's hair difference in over-all modifications, one may be machined better or is looks better. If you overlook the trim tabs or pump shoe or intake grate or prop you will lose any potential gains that you would normally get with just a plate.And unless a tuner RIDES your ski, he will not be able to determine what that is. I am not saying that these plates cannot out perform each other (some clearly do) but you have to match your own parts and assess what they do.

I just wanted to put the focus back on the matching of your parts more than just," I am gonna buy this piece and go 2mph faster than the other plate." Or "I bought this person's rideplate and it did'nt work"

The true geniouses of this sport don't quit testing and trying new things to achieve new levels of performance but they also don't shoot others trying too. To me, it's a shame that we forget that most of the riders do not have time to get out and test on their own but rely upon others to do it for them. I remember when I was just started riding/ racing skis 14 yrs ago and bought $$$ of stuff from well-known aftermarket companies that did'nt do what they were advertised to do. This is why everytime I start seeing these food fights and I-know-everything-thats-need-to-be known threads, I just cringe for the guys on the fence just trying to get better performance out of their skis.

We are in this sport together..come what may, we are in it together. Heck, thats why I would prod Jerry to test new things on the RXPoo that worked on a GPR..who knows it may have helped. The point was, we are in this together.

When you purchase a particular rideplate, please figure out what conditions you like to ride in, what the ski likes, what mods, what the ski has as far as parts and how to make them all fit together with adjustments. Nothing is universal...except that the YAMAHA "package" is the fastest-jet-ski-in-the-world package.

At least until next spring when I get a Kawasaki 250 and kicks ya'lls butts all over Mudbug!
    Great post Pistonwash Last year I made a hydrofoil.The ski lost 7MPH & the quick trim became useless,but the handling in rough water was unbelievable,but who's willing to loose that much speed I'm working on a new concept that goes totally against every preception.My wifes ski is the test bed with a milled head and advent being the only engine mods-tamper caps still on the carbs.I'm gaining about 3/10ths everytime out,I'll let you know when I've hit my benchmark I'm 2.4 mph away

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    well said Mike.

Outstanding well said.

+1
    I'm living proof of your post here Mike. I had my gp1200 for two summers now (19 hours) total. I didn't go out and buy "the package" I've talked with Fernando, Kerry, Dan H., Spud, Philip, Carl, Lowell H. and you about what I've done and what I should do. You've all been very helpful, but only headed me in the proper direction and not giving away any "secrets" that weren't already on the forums. I started with a 62 mph stock gpr, ended the first summer running 72.9 holes in bottom filled. I've only put about 4 hours on the boat this year and 1/2 that is not even me riding it...Finally got out this last two weeks to play with shimming the ride plate and tabs and adjust for a modded 800 intake grate and pump shoe, had a terrible bucking issue. Now I'm over 74 mph with no holes filled, just by testing with shims to get rid of the buck. I never dreamed I would have a stock ported 1200 with head, reeds and F/A's doing anywhere near 74, or now expecting to hit 75 easily . I shouldn't say easily. Testing, and finding what worked on my boat and taking notes from the experts here is where the credit is due. I've been given supposed info that would make the ski faster, and it didn't work, it took testing to find what worked for me...I'm not bragging and saying look at me, just trying to tell my success story, my hats off in thanks to everyone who helped me get to this point. My biggest problem has been the pesky wakeboarders wrecking my testing the whole summer, anyone have some anti-wakeboard spray to keep those pests away.

The latest skirmish between the some of best testers and tuners saddens me also. Kerry and Fernando have both been very nice and helpful when I've called with questions and neither one tried to sell me the package, as I was close, and headed in the right direction. Thank you both for that honesty. Others have said they were treated like crap by one or the other, (you probably caught them on a bad day). I wish there was a way we could go back and find the roots of the forum where we all just wanted to share ideas and make our ski's the best out there, not a place to make money by slandering one another.

+1
    Welcome back Mike!

6 years and still experimenting...and...still finding things that scrub speed.

everyday out is a "test"

this stuff is noting more then a drag race on the streets of south phili to me...thats what started my quest for acceleraton and blistering top speed some 15 years ago....if i lost a race,,,i went home and built something more powerfull so it didnt happen next time....building mountain motors and finding more HP is what i like best......that is my heritage, drive, and what inspires me to push the envelope to its limits.....this sport keeps me off the streets in a safer enviroment.

ill be the first to admit, the pump areas where a weak part for me in the begining.....i learned as some of the top guys on here learned....i appreaciate what was shared with me over the years to aid my learning process. likewise, i have attempted to share my "personal" motor secrets with a select few who have worked with me....its the least i can do in a form of gratitude...you know who you are. thanks again.

now enough with the fekin group hug.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information