Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Locked up - can't turn at all

I recently rebuilt my carbs and after putting everything back together, I tried starting my 1100 Yam.
    Obviously, all carbs and lines were dry. I cranked and cranked trying to get fuel to the engine.
    Eventually, the starter quit turning the motor over.
    I can't budge the motor by hand grabbing the coupler. Tight as a drumb.
    Any Ideas?
    I recently had to replace a sheared woodruff key. Hope I don't have to go through that job again.
    Any advice as to the potential problem would be great....

+1
    Well if you cranked it long enough you may have fired your starter and it's stuck in place or worse if you didn't have everything in the engine pre-lubed with assembly lube, you may have seized the engine (although that would seem unlikely from just cranking w/o the engine running).

First I would take out the spark plugs to make it easier to try and turn the engine. Next you may have to remove the starter to see if it's stuck.

Not the starter

Actually, the starter is still spinning, just not turning the engine over.

+1
    Ok, how "long" were you cranking the engine before you couldn't? Why do you say the starter is still spinning, did you take it out to see if it spins? Did you take the plugs out to see if that allows you to turn the motor in either direction?

I didn't crank on it very long, about 3 times for a minute or so. I can still hear the starter cranking but not turning the motor over. I took out the plugs and sprayed some fogging oil in cylinders and tried to move shaft both directions - will not move at all. I don't see how it could be a lubrication issue, I ran the ski about a week ago and then took off the carbs. And I was very careful to make sure nothing was dropped into the engine. I'm going to put a chain wrench on the shaft tomorrow and try to turn it, mystery as to why it is locked up like that.

+1
    Yikes, no! If you cannot turn it by hand with spark plugs out, trying to force it will be much worse and you may seriously damage something that may not have been damaged before. Do you run in salt water? Have you checked your Wear Ring to make sure that the impeller didn't *grab* it and get jammed? That happened to my 95 Venture. When you tried to turn it, did you try to turn the engine side of the coupler or the impeller shaft side? There should be a little play between the two. Determine if one or the other is jammed. I don't know how the starter can turn without the engine moving. You may have killed the starter gear?
    Last edited by SurfRider; 07-04-2010 at 08:36 PM. Reason: tried to make my message clearer

Thanks for the advice. I will check the wear ring this morning and will also try to turn on both sides. I hope I didn't kill the starter, it is brand new. I guess if there was something binding, the starter had to work so hard that it died? Is it hard to check the wear ring?? I've never done it before.

+1
    You had problems with your woodruf key did you torque it correctly when you put it back on.There are 8 bolts on the front cover pull it off and look inside.Verify that the flywheel is still atatched and not spinning and take a look at the bendix.If thats ok you can loosen the motor mounts and slide the motor forward so it clears the coupler.Take the plugs out and you should be able to turn the motor by hand using the coupler or flywheel.If it dont turn pull it out its seized.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macio View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I will check the wear ring this morning and will also try to turn on both sides. I hope I didn't kill the starter, it is brand new. I guess if there was something binding, the starter had to work so hard that it died? Is it hard to check the wear ring?? I've never done it before.
    You should be able to look into the intake grate from the bottom of the ski. From there you can see the impeller in the wear ring. They are very close, but if the wear ring housing corrodes (which they will if run in salt water and they are old) it will bend the stainless steel insert and the impeller can grab it. If it looks perfectly round, that should be ok. You'll know if it grabbed.

Also some great advice from the Scotsman. Just keep in mind that if you move the motor to make sure that you measure the couplers when you bolt it back in place. It would make sense if the key broke again and it's spinning the flywheel but not the crank. I just hope that there is not something in your motor that is seized and is causing your key to keep breaking. If the impeller is stuck it would also be a problem, but a bit easier and cheaper to fix.

I want to thank you for all the advice, it's very nice of you. I looked at the impeller and wear ring, they look fine to me. I guess I will take the cover off the flywheel again (groan) I just can't understand why the motor would seize all of a sudden, it wasn't even running. I am hopeing that a piece of the magneto broke off and is jamming things up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information