New to me 250X not reving to the redline

I have a new to me 07 250X which I just put in the water for the 1st time today. It's got 80 Hours on it, The ski ran well but couldn't reach the redline and was lurching and hickuping after 6500 RPMs. The ski pulled away from a 140 HP Yamaha but clearly didn't have full power. It just wouldn't get past 6750 RPMs. Boost seemed to stay at 10. I'll change the plugs but what else could it be? It looks like I'm short around 1000 RPMs. It's almost like a rev limiter. It runs strong all the way to 6750 then the revs fall a bit then go back to 6750 then fall a bit. Over and over. Not sure if that's enough info to go on but any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Nick

Cool

glad i could help!!! i went through the same shit on 2 different boats a month ago. just got a poor ultra this season and am working the bugs out. TIGHTEN THE SUPERCHARER TNSIONER AND GET BACK TO US!!! sounds like the belt is slipping at high rpm. garilla that shit, and put some lock tight. i found if you wd-40 the boat, the tesioner will loosen because of the lubrication. keep that bult dry!!!

+1
    dont use wd40 on everything only on your metal on metal parts, pump nozzle mounts, steering knuckle, throttle body. use something softer like lanotec or silicon spray for the rest of the ski, wd40 will eat your rubber hoses after a while.

and dont do the sc belt up too much you will torch the belt and wear your bearings out. easy guide is on the long part of the belt you should be able to twist the belt in the middle to at least a 1/4 to a 1/2 a turn between your fingers, but tip no 2 get a belt tensioner guage.

this problem cause also be loose hoses or spark plugs. but belt tension is a good place to start. what boost are you getting at 6750 rpms.

tip 3 - try the 4 stroker section.

Thanks for all the help! So far the belt was pretty tight. Had a fouled plug in there. I think that's what limited the revs. I'm taking it out this weekend and testing it out. The ski has 88 hours on it and I think it's the 2nd set of plugs.
    I'll keep you guys posted.

Brought the ski back to the lake today. Still had the same problem. Tach didn't go past 6,800 RPM. Boost gauge went up and down between 7 and 8 LBS. Seems like it has something to do with the Supercharger. The belt seems tight enough. I'm thinking the BOV might be the problem. Should I go with the BOV block off plate? Has anyone had luck with it?

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by turbonick View Post
    Brought the ski back to the lake today. Still had the same problem. Tach didn't go past 6,800 RPM. Boost gauge went up and down between 7 and 8 LBS. Seems like it has something to do with the Supercharger. The belt seems tight enough. I'm thinking the BOV might be the problem. Should I go with the BOV block off plate? Has anyone had luck with it?
    did you check it with a tension gauge?

you might also have a loose hose or hose clamp... check the obvious before you go throwing money at a problem

also make shure the air horn is not loose and sucking against the hull, as many have had. Check all air hoses for tightness too, especially the one going between intercooler and throttle body.

Thread Information