Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Possible Clutch Issue 3 Hours After Change

The first time my clutch didn't go 100%. When I would shut it down, it would just keep on spinning till it eventually stopped. I had it changed and as soon as it came out 3 teeth fell right out. When the new one went in, the problem stopped. When I would shut down the ski, you could hear the ski quickly stop spinning and just stop like it was supposed to do. I was looking over some things today and had the ski on the hose. When I shut it down I could hear the ski once again just spinning and spinning till it eventually just stopped.....just like before. Could my clutch be going again after only 3 hours?????? I hope I'm wrong but this is the exact sound that I had before. Could there be an underlying problem that is causing this? When I do WOT runs, I always gradually ease off the throttle. Of the 3 hours of riding, 2 were yesterday and I was just cruising around Pittsburgh at about 35 mph. If its my clutch again I will be pissed!

Banned User
    +1
    The super charger wheel should spin free and whine down after u turn it off. This is normal, on my ski after I rev it up and turn ski off u can hear the wheel spooling down.

+1
    Probably not.
    When the E1 spins both ways, then get pissed at the whole clutch thing.

But I would be pulling off the intake and double checking the supercharger shaft for movement (you had that replaced recently, yes?). That's what I'd be paranoid about after every run for a while. Only takes a few sec's.

PS. A turbo kit is looking good if you guys are having this much fun with the clutches and supercharger shafts.

+1
    I already checked the supercharger bearing and it was perfect. Also the e1 wheel only spins 1 way with no movement the other way so that is fine. Ill just ride it and see how it goes.

+1
    I think thats about all you can do ATM. Your not riding it like closed course racing nor wave jumping so it should be all good. Hope it goes well.

+1
    New clutch should last at least 10 hours.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ercBOOSTED View Post
    The first time my clutch didn't go 100%. When I would shut it down, it would just keep on spinning till it eventually stopped. I had it changed and as soon as it came out 3 teeth fell right out. When the new one went in, the problem stopped. When I would shut down the ski, you could hear the ski quickly stop spinning and just stop like it was supposed to do. I was looking over some things today and had the ski on the hose. When I shut it down I could hear the ski once again just spinning and spinning till it eventually just stopped.....just like before. Could my clutch be going again after only 3 hours?????? I hope I'm wrong but this is the exact sound that I had before. Could there be an underlying problem that is causing this? When I do WOT runs, I always gradually ease off the throttle. Of the 3 hours of riding, 2 were yesterday and I was just cruising around Pittsburgh at about 35 mph. If its my clutch again I will be pissed!
    When you shut the engine down it is normal to free wheel mine spins for 5 to 10 seconds depending if i snapped the throttle before shutting the ski down that is a sign of a good working sprag . It is not suppose to stop spinning as soon as you turn your ski off because if it does that it tells me that the coasting side of the sprag is binding and that is a sign of the sprag going out. Free spinning on the coasting side of the sprag has nothing to do with being a bad clutch if anything that tells you that the clutch is working perfectly well because the sprag is spinning freely on it's coasting side.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JIM'S PERFORMANCE View Post
    When you shut the engine down it is normal to free wheel mine spins for 5 to 10 seconds depending if i snapped the throttle before shutting the ski down that is a sign of a good working sprag . It is not suppose to stop spinning as soon as you turn your ski off because if it does that it tells me that the coasting side of the sprag is binding and that is a sign of the sprag going out. Free spinning on the coasting side of the sprag has nothing to do with being a bad clutch if anything that tells you that the clutch is working perfectly well because the sprag is spinning freely on it's coasting side.
    +1

+1
    Went and rode today. Things were ok for 15-20 minutes. Right in the middle of a WOT run, the rpms dropped to 6500 and wouldn't go any higher. I though maybe I sucked something up. I went back to the trailer, pulled it out of the water. I first checked the supercharger. Bearing was fine and the clutch only spins one way. It doesn't go the other way at all. I then looked in the pump to see if anything was wedged but I couldn't see anything so I pulled the pump. There was nothing in there. I looked inside the ski and saw that I had left the cap off of the flush fitting. Could that be the problem and if so, why was the ski fine for 20 minutes with it off? I pulled a log and saw that my AFR sensor quit working after only 6 or 7 hours. I checked the hoses and all appeared to be fine. Hopefully I can figure this out and hopefully it isn't bad.

Banned User
    +1
    Check your plugs make sure its not engine first

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information