Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Getting Max performance...

Hi,

Wanted a cheap little project PWC so I just got a 92 Polaris sl650. I'm ripping the engine out and rebuilding it and I want to customize it some for better performance.

I've searched on google for aftermarket engine parts to help up the HP but haven't seen much for the Polaris brand other than some k&n individual flame arrestors rather than the stock single one.

Any input on what I can do to the thing and where I can look for parts? All help will be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Bing-A-Ding-Ding-Ding, Brrrrrap! Brrrrrrrrrap!!! Polaris_Nut#1's Avatar
    +1
    If you want a sleeper I'd track down a SLX 780 or SL 780 exhaust manifold, all three cylinders and heads. A pro 785 CDI and some bigger carbs.

Going to the new style big mouth pump will help out big time. I think you'll have to add power trim if you go with the 4 inch extended version which is what you really want.

And don't sell you exhaust pipe! Everyone wants that thing.

you can swap 750 jugs and cylinder heads onto your motor easily! what are you expecting out of this? a clean rebuild and an extended pump gets me 48 all day long! but you'll find the best fun is busting thru chop and back end slides! the short sl will beat the crud out of you at top speed! you will find yourself standing most of the time just to save your arse!
    I added trim and reverse to mine for the heck off it also! Z

PS 92 93's have some quirks that need ironed out! also a 3 port fuel pump is needed

Sweet! But..

Where do I get these from? What websites do you reccomend? Is there a lot of alternations with the suggestions you gave? I'm looking for basically people to see my ski and say it's an old piece of crap and then prove them wrong and I love jumping waves.

Thanks!

Yeah, I know about the need for the oil block off and the need for the high output fuel pump. Anything else you know of?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ZMANN View Post
    you can swap 750 jugs and cylinder heads onto your motor easily!
    Yup, 780 would be better and the only extra piece needed is the exhaust manifold. A stock 750 is 80 hp and a stock 780 is 95 hp mostly due to porting and ignition.

How much do you plan on doing to it? Reed spacers and aftermarket reeds are a must or you can spend more and change the entire cages. I'd look on here first in the classifieds, then ebay and the salvage yards. I guess you have to see what you need. Does the motor need a complete rebuild or just a new top end? I would most definitely get a newer style pump. Look for a used 95 or 96 SLX jet pump set up, you will need the drive shaft, steering cable trim rod, trim motor and switch assembly and so on. You can fund everything you need used.

Sweet...thanks. Not sure what exactly I need yet. I was told that one cylinder (the front one - surprise surprise) is bad and the other two have good compression. I'm in the process of pulling the engine out...been kinda lazy. After I get it out, I'm going to go through it, clean it up and see exactly what I need and go from there.

Polaris_nut, what do you think the factory porting difference between the 750 and 780 cases is worth in terms of HP. I have a few 750 cases that I'm keeping as spares for my SLX 780. I welded up one of the cases with some extra material in order to duplicate the porting of a 780. If you don't add extra material you will grind through the case when duplicating factory 780 porting. In any event, it was a whole lot of work by the time I finished welding and porting it so I'm wondering if it was worth the effort.

Thanks,
    Gary

+1
    Gary, I just posted the factory port specs in the tech section for ya. This nut don't mess around with backyard porting. It's way too much work and I have no clue how to do it right. The most I do, is if I see a casting bur I'll smooth it out with a stone till it's not an obstruction. I'd send the 750 jugs to group k for the recreation porting unless you know what you're doing. It sounds like you have done this kinda thing before.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information