supercharger problems?

i was out riding with a buddy yesterday and noticed a wierd noise coming from the machine. couldnt determine where it was coming from but noticed his supercharger was noticabely louder then then mine. I decided to chech it today. i pulled the house that ties into it and spun the impeller i think it is inside the supercharger. should it be able to move with pressure applied to it both ways? i was getting full speed and rpm

You were getting full speed and rpm......you checked the sc and were able to spin the blades?

Something doesn't add up.

Info on both skis is needed....what do you have and what mods are you running....your buddy's as well.

yeah it would spin with pressure being applied. it wasnt spinning freely. we both have 06 rxp. mine just had sc rebuilt with new bearings and metal washers. all stock except for mine has intake grate

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    You should not be able to spin the SC by hand at all. Maybe a little rotation left or right, but not more than 5 or 10 degrees. The SC is driven by gears off the engine, so too turn the SC you would also be turning over the engine. If you can spin the SC impeller, even slowly, your SC clutch system is probably toast. Has to come out for further inspection.

Is this on your newly rebuilt SC or on your friends ski?

this is the newly built supercharger. but if im spinning it slowly with pressure could i not just be turning it over with the engine as well?

What charger is it?

stock charger on 06

Well, if it is not loosing performance, it could be that the seat is in a slightly different place.

The intake is close to the seat front, and maybe you are hearing it more.

Some skis seem to be slightly noisier from the charger than others.

It is true, you can slowly turn the engine with a deep socket on the charger nut, but I would not recommend it. Probably got a strong grip I guess.

If all seems ok, then I would not worry too much. If the charger was goosed, it would have shown itself by now.

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusateri View Post
    this is the newly built supercharger. but if im spinning it slowly with pressure could i not just be turning it over with the engine as well?
    Yes you could be turning over the engine. But I have only ever been able to do that with a socket and drive on the nut of the SC. By hand with fingers only, I can't. If you are able to turn the SC wheel complete revolutions by hand, have someone look up your pump to see if your prop is turning. If it isn't then your engine is not being turned over. And therefore your SC clutch is probably slipping.

Thread Information