+1

No start on issue 98 1050

Well I just sold my 98 1050 due to the fact that I love my new virage i plan on buying another one. I sold it yesterday to a gentlemen that didn't have to much experience with skis so I ran it on the water for him for a good hour on and off and showed him the ins and outs. He took it home yesterday and he ran it fir several hours without a hitch until he flipped it and said it took him about a half hour to flip it right back up. Then the ski sat overnight with some water in it. He calls me this morning and ask if I can come over and try to get it running for him. While most people might have said well it's your problem I try to be a good person and help him out. I showed up to his house and find the inside of the ski submerged about a quarter of the way up so I drained the water out, pulled the plugs and started cranking the engine. The motor would not crank until I hooked up a jumper pack. The motor spit out a little water but not much. Got the ski running and let it run for about 15 minutes. It ran fine. I cleaned the battery terminals and ground at the block. The ski will start but only with a jumper pack installed. The battery is new and fully charged but when I hook it up the bildge will start running and won't stop. It didn't do that before. When I try to start it I can hear the solonoid clicking in the E box but it won't turn over. When I hook the jumper pack it will start. I wonder if the positive connection has some corrosion at the starter not allowing enough current. Any suggestions?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Any water inside the electrical box?

Wet electrical connections with DC power applied can corrode rapidly. The battery voltage accelerates the corrosion process if the connections are immersed in liquid water.

Is the battery a regular lead-acid battery with fill caps and a vent nipple? The battery may have been flooded with excess water, in which case that battery is junk now. Another reason to only buy factory sealed AGM batteries

+1
    No water in the ebox. The battery is an agm. I even put a different battery in it for him and it did the same thing. I told him we will let it dry out and give it a crack tommorrow so that we can enjoy the rest of the day. I will clean all the connections and try it again. Happy 4th!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by retro View Post
    No water in the ebox. The battery is an agm. I even put a different battery in it for him and it did the same thing.

...I will clean all the connections and try it again...
    My guess is that somehow the LR regulator has been damaged. The bilge pump running all the time is the clue.

Unplug the Orange wire for the LR module (just the LR module's Orange wire). Hold down the bilge button (bilge pump should run), see if the engine starts and runs.

If yes, replace the LR module.

BTW, make sure the battery polarity has not been reversed. Sometimes there is more than one problem happening at the same time.

Thread Information