Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Forgot to put drain plugs in... Swamped motor

Hi folks. A friend took my 2001 gp1200r out for the day and forgot to put the drain plugs back in the hull before putting it in the water. When he parked it at the beach, it filled with water and almost sank. He says that he caught it almost immediately, and drained it, but the engine compartment had filled with water. The ski would not start after draining, it turned over a few times and then he said it seemed like something electrical stopped the turning over. Now it's in my garage and totally dried out, but I cannot get it to start. It just keeps turning over and tries to fire, but then... Nothing.

Any suggestions? Is my ski bricked? I'm thinking if changing the spark plugs and the air filter and possibly changing the oil, but I don't actually see any water in the oil or the fuel.

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Abe

+1
    you have very little time to get it running and run the crap out of it or its toast.....sorry but when the rust sets in on the crank its gone bad

dry the plugs on gas cooker,try a little fuel down pots to get her running,dont worry about filter unless its aftermarket one

How much time is "very little time"... This happened about four days ago...

Not that much!!

Let's back track!

When you took the plugs out and turned the engine over to see if water got inside the engine did you find that water in fact got in the engine?

I would say if did get water in the engine 4 days ago then you probably need to think about tearing down and getting a new crank

+1
    Tell your buddy to start coughing up some cash to pay for the rebuild.......you just learned to never let your friends borrow your toys.

remove all your spark plugs and then turn over your motor. See if water flies out of the cylinders. That should have been the very first thing to do. Know this for the future. Keep trying to turn the motor over until the water stops coming out. Then put plugs in and run the thing for a hard hour.

Moderated
    Quote Originally Posted by icky002 View Post
    remove all your spark plugs and then turn over your motor. See if water flies out of the cylinders. That should have been the very first thing to do. Know this for the future. Keep trying to turn the motor over until the water stops coming out. Then put plugs in and run the thing for a hard hour.
    what he said, keep trying to start it with the plugs out, do this until you see and smell fuel not water coming out of the plug holes....then put the plugs in and try to start it two to three times at a time before removing the plugs to dry them off ( they will be wet with water) keep doing this until you can get it to start then take it for a good hard run to get the salty out and the oil circulating, its very important you do this ASAP or your motor is history.

i did the same thing with my 06 about 3 yrs ago but i got it going at the ramp and took it straight back out once io got it running ( pays off big time to always carry tolls with you) and the ski was fine as a result of its close call.

if your dopey friend tried to start it with water in the cylinders there is a chance it hydro locked and bent a rod, water can not be compressed, not ever.

hope this helps.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockguyx View Post
    Tell your buddy to start coughing up some cash to pay for the rebuild.......you just learned to never let your friends borrow your toys.
    This is the quote of the year +1

Ok... I took the plugs out, dried them with an air compressor, sprayed some wd-40 in the cylinders, and turn it over until no more water came out. Then I sprayed some starter fluid in the cylinders, put the plugs back in, and she fired right up!

That was a huge relief! Now I just need to find someone to make some adjustments to the carb, as she has been running a little rich and fouling plugs ever since I bought her.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrotherapy View Post
    you have very little time to get it running and run the crap out of it or its toast.....sorry but when the rust sets in on the crank its gone bad

dry the plugs on gas cooker,try a little fuel down pots to get her running,dont worry about filter unless its aftermarket one

DUDE!!! if this happened 4 days ago it is toast. Just because it started doesn't mean that it's all good! If i were you i would plan on a rebuild.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information