Looking for SXT1100 CDI Box, part No. 21119-3746

Looking for a Kawasaki 1100 STX CDI box, part number 21119-3746

Not sure if it is the same as the ZXI as its part number is 21119-3751

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scottie

+1
    It might work, I have one from a zxi 1100 if interested

Paul,

I think I read on here that you did the air temp sensor jump to get the extra 3 degrees of timing? If so, did you have any problems after? I have a STX1100 motor in my SXR stand up, I wanted some more timing, so I did the air temp jump - cutting the two wires for the sensor and connecting them. Ever since, now the ski won't rev out. It gets to about 6K rpms and stays there. Was running 7300 before. I cut the wires apart to put it back to the way it was, and it still won't rev. Weird. Does the white butt connector in the kawi box have a resistor built in? I am at a loss on this thing.

Did the ZXI box have an air temp sensor and a water temp sensor?

Scottie

+1
    it had both sensors, i got more rpms with the mod...whats your comp?

Scottie

Changed to a ZXI1100 cdi box, checked spark, fine. Started on trailer, no problem. Took it to the water.... 5800 rpm was the most it would pull. Sounds like it is missing a cylinder or something. What should I check next? Stator? Volt regulator? Feel like I am chancing demons here.

Scottie

Im having the same problem. Let me know what you find out here. I have heard so many different things from temp sensor "limp mode" to reed failure to timing to carb tuning to ignition mod and coils. Sounds like basically every part of your engine could cause this issue. I get to about 35 mph then it starts missing. Mine does the same thing if I run a hose to it in the driveway though. I can hear it when I get to the higher rpm it just starts cutting out. Every now and again in the water it will catch and I can run but at most a few seconds before its down again.

Hooptyride, Did you ever find the cause of your misfire?? Mine is doing the same thing. Two local Jetski mechanics refused to work on it... Must be a strange problem.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    they don't want to work on it for a simple reason.

Kawasaki has been discontinuing cdi's for it's mid to late 90's ski for a while and the locals must have been burned already.

I was baurned for almost a grand because of an ignition that could not be found without risking a whole lot of money, but yet I took one on for a very good customers kid, found a used box that didn't break the bank and delivered a smoking ride.

Last time I took in a basket case that a couple of other shops had "looked at", and it turned out they didn't bother to check the owners handiwork..the ignition coils had been switched. Check the color coding on the ignition coil hookups if you've had the cdi out of it.

it's really risky buying electrics from anybody you don't know personally.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie mac View Post
    Changed to a ZXI1100 cdi box, checked spark, fine. Started on trailer, no problem. Took it to the water.... 5800 rpm was the most it would pull. Sounds like it is missing a cylinder or something. What should I check next? Stator? Volt regulator? Feel like I am chancing demons here.

Scottie
    Sounds like the typical problem caused by frayed ends on the spark plug wires. Pull the spark plug boots, trim the wires back about 1/2", re-install the boots.

Thread Information