Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sl 750 project, please help!!!

Hi guy, I'm very new to the world of pwc and have no idea on where to start with mine but do know a good bit about car engens .
    I have a 95 sl750 that I got cheep. The guy told me it ran out of water as long as he poored gas in the carbs. Got it home, starter turns but the shaft does not. The guy I got it from took off the intake and I took off the exust to get to the starter. Please help. Much thanks in advance.
    Dimitry from Atlant GA

+1
    if you take the spark plugs out, does the drive shaft turn by hand?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

I've removed all 3 spark plugs and the water pump shaft moves smoothly and freely. I removed the starter and tested it. Works fine. One thing I don't understan, normaly a starter would come out about an inch or so to make contact with the fly wheel, but this one does no such thing. Am I missing something??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitry82 View Post
    ...I removed the starter and tested it. Works fine.

One thing I don't understand, normally a starter would come out about an inch or so to make contact with the fly wheel, but this one does no such thing. Am I missing something??
    The Bendix gear assembly is inside the flywheel housing, not part of the starter motor.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    The Bendix gear assembly is inside the flywheel housing, not part of the starter motor.
    thank you k447, and thank you for the web link, i learned a lot as well as some good tips on my repair/rebuild.
    i had all of what i am about to type ready and my coumputer froze on me and i lost all of it, so here it all goes again.
    i was not getting any fuel into the carbs, so i dicided to apply what i know about engens to my ski. cant be too much different, right?
    i traced the two leads from the fuel pump to the cdi box, pulled them out and connected the red and the black wires to the battery. NO GO!! i think i need a new fuel pump. did i test it correctly?
    i siphoned the old gas out, pulled out the fuel pump, pulled out the tank and the front cover off of the flywheel housing. bad news, i think, flywheel has lots of rust on it and it looks like the bendix gear assembly is rusted in the closed possition. can i clean it off and lube it and get it working again?
    Ive got lots of questions but i would rather see what you guys have to say about all that first. i have access to other polaris parted skies, which parts are interchangable from which models? what will i HAVE TO buy?
    guys, i am seriouse about this rebuild and enjoy doing it but riding even more.
    a million thanks in advance

Dimitry

also , if you all tell me what pics you all whant to see and i will post them gladly.

thanks

dimitry

one of my goals is to make this ski prety fast. what do i need to consider,what is its stock speed and what is the cost??

thank you as allways

dimitry

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dimitry82 View Post
    ...I decided to apply what i know about engines to my ski. cant be too much different, right?

i traced the two leads from the fuel pump to the cdi box, pulled them out and connected the red and the black wires to the battery. NO GO!! i think i need a new fuel pump. did i test it correctly?...
    There are no wires to the fuel pump. The fuel pump is near the carburetors, and is powered by a pulse hose from the crank case.

The fuel tank has an electrical sender for fuel level. It is normally powered by low voltage (about 2.5 volts). Hopefully you did not damage it by connecting it to a battery. The sender wires are Black and Pink.

Be careful about applying knowledge from other engine types to these Polaris PWC

How do I check to see if I damaged it or not? What about the bendix gear assm? Can salvage it?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information