2001 xp, 2 stroke performance?

Over the weekend I bought a 2001 xp that has been sitting in my neighbors garage for ever. Im new to the game of modding out these skis. I bought my first ski to play with this year. My buddies have always had them to ride and I was the guy to do the wrenching for them. I bought the 04 rxp about a month ago. I bought this xp 2 days ago. What I'm looking for is more performance out of the xp. I know it will never be the brute that the rxp is. Im a junkie thats looking for two things out of this xp. Speed and Sound. What can I do to top out this 951 xp?

+1
    Just a thought.
    Forever can be a long time indeed. Even inside a garage a 947 does not like to be stored. Even if it was fogged well when put up it is still prone to rust on the cylinder walls and wrist pin bearings. Just keep that in mind before throwing a lot of money into trying to mod it. Rusty wrist pins will come apart and make it look like a gernade went off inside that cylinder. It may be better to get it apart to make sure it is in good shape before getting to wound up in making it still not as fast as a stock RXP or GPR.

You can get sound with a TDR waterbox and or removing the resonator and putting in a '98 XPL crossover hose.

You can get speed, that is, serious speed (say around 70 or more) but only if you are willing to apply serious funding and be prepared to keep the cash coming for those times
    when you do not feel so fresh (as in, you turn the HS screws just a little bit too much hunting for the next 20rpm and instead you find a nice hole in the piston).

An XPL is not a drag racer's hull. It does not want to come out of the hole. It was designed to turn coners fast accelerate between bouys and do it again.

65-67 is attainable without being too close to the edge but those speeds do have their costs. It will require more compression, tighter squish, pump tuning (prop and nozzel),
    Prok flame arrestors and re-jetted carbs and a few other little tweaks. To get much faster than that you will need a pipe.

Then, after all that, it is still slower than a stock RXP 215.

IMO, Proks and jets and maybe a cut head (for comp and squish) or an aftermarket one with changeable domes. This will pep her up without it getting ridiculous to tune and maintain.
    That is the best handling hull SD ever made hands down. It was never meant to run the fastest in a straight line. If you want that you have the RXP, or get a GPR.

yeah I got the ski for one hell of a deal for 1000 bucks came with the double trailer. I bought it bc I was gonna throw my rxp on the double trailer. Then sell the xp with my single trailer. But I put new plugs bc the other ones went bad from the old fogging. I took it for a ride and I had some fun. I know that it will never be the rxp. I was just buying it to sell it but now I think Ill just beat on and play with, and if I could tune it up a bit that would be great. Just use the xp for beating then have the rxp for occasion when I wanna take chickas out. So I could get the tdr and then some playing with the top end would get some ponys?

take the engine out of it and put it in an 95 xp style. that would be one hell of a ride

the first adjustment would be to look at Prok's and rejetting after pulling the carbs to clean if its been sitting.
    F/A's will give you a little pop, more on the high end I believe, solas prop would add a little kick. Neither option is very expensive.
    and as a bonus I think you'll get a return on investment with the F/A, because they look good to the buyer, it opens up the hull there and it looks clean. So those two options you'll get your money back when u sell it. get crazy with other mods and you'll start throwing money at a short term ski for an extra 5mph, not worth it just for a summer.
    fuel lines are a nice afternoon project if that hasn't been done.
    start tweaking there and then ride it again see how it feels.
    and honestly, I like the sound of the stock xpl, its not overly loud, granted Its not throaty but why exactly would you need to change it ?
    for short term ski, I wouldn't tinker with major mods past the F/A and prop the other 1-2 mph performance gains will start to get very expensive. your just fixing it up for the buyer.

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    not a long list you can do to this models to make them top notch, sure there is plenty of stuff out there but its not needed,
    the only major things you need to change is, F/A rejet carbs, pitch prop 1 degree out, fill rideplate holes, and replace the old grey fuel lines.
    anything else will be money on the trash, top speed of these is around 66 67

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusateri View Post
    take the engine out of it and put it in an 95 xp style. that would be one hell of a ride
    Ah, yes. Remove the engine from the finest handling hull Sea Doo ever made and put into one that carries a whole nine gallons of fuel and is barely rideable in chop over a 1ft tall.

That sounds like a great suggestion.

KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX
    Originally Posted by Pusateri

Ah, yes. Remove the engine from the finest handling hull Sea Doo ever made and put into one that carries a whole nine gallons of fuel and is barely rideable in chop over a 1ft tall.

That sounds like a great suggestion.
    Depends on how old you are, right Krunch lol

+1
    It makes for a good jumper, though a 717 or 787 powered X-4 jumps pretty well with a lot less work.

But, say you had an X-4 with a dead engine and a good 951 around, or say a dead 787 or 951 and could choose which to build and install, well, then have at it.

It is just that the idea of gutting a running XPL is disgusting.

Thread Information