Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 Polaris 900SL

Hi,

I have a 1996 Polaris 900SL and am in need of an in tank fuel sensor. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find a new one or a new/rebuilt one.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by katcal View Post
    Hi,

I have a 1996 Polaris 900SL and am in need of an in tank fuel sensor. Does anyone have any ideas where I can find a new one or a new/rebuilt one.

Thanks
    Welcome to the Hulk

You are ALMOST in the right place

The Polaris General forum is here.

Have a look in the Polaris Classifieds section for parts and parted out machines.

+1
    Hi,

Thanks
    Welcome to Green Hulk !
    Do you need the fuel sender because the fuel guage does'nt work ?
    You can replace just the fuel float.

At this time the fuel gauge works....so I am guessing that I need more then the float. We cannot get our Polaris to rev over 2700 rpm's....does not make for very good playing on the water. We pulled the fuel sensor and it looks like its burned out.

+1
    Fuel Sensor would have nothing to do with 2700 RPM rev limit. IF the gauge works and you can read ohm change with a meter (think it is 0-33k ohms) as the float rises Then the sender is good.

Have you checked the compression on your cylinders? Does it sound like it is running rough, sputtering at all?

Sounds more like you have carb, electrical or piston issues

Quote Originally Posted by seaobin View Post
    Fuel Sensor would have nothing to do with 2700 RPM rev limit. IF the gauge works and you can read ohm change with a meter (think it is 0-33k ohms) as the float rises Then the sender is good.

Have you checked the compression on your cylinders? Does it sound like it is running rough, sputtering at all?

Sounds more like you have carb, electrical or piston issues
    . +1

It starts good, and runs fine until you get the RPM"s around 2000 or so. Then it starts to sputter and such.

You can see on the fuel sensor cylinder that it looks like there was some sort of a power surge as it loooks darkened....kind of like a light bulb burning out?????

+1
    ...You can see on the fuel sensor cylinder that it looks like there was some sort of a power surge as it looks darkened....kind of like a light bulb burning out?????
    The fuel level sender is powered by a very low voltage and current (about 2.5 volts, if memory serves). It is done that way so there can never be an electrical spark inside the fuel tank.

Unless someone hooked the sender up to a high voltage source, there is no place for an electrical surge to come from that would damage the sender.

As others have said, even a totally failed fuel level sender will not affect engine operation in the manner you have described.

I understand that the sensor is not going to lead to that paticular problem but the sensor has an engine limitor built in and that is what I am thinking quit working. Is that a possibility and if so...any suggestions?

+1
    I understand that the sensor is not going to lead to that particular problem but the sensor has an engine limiter built in and that is what I am thinking quit working. Is that a possibility and if so...any suggestions?
    RPM limiter works through the MFD and the temp sensor.

If you unplug the RPM limiter Gray wire from the terminal board inside the electrical box, then the RPM limiter is disabled. If the problem persists, then the RPM limiter is not the cause.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information