+1

Can you reuse piston rings

Anyone ever reuse piston rings? I had to tear my motor appart for a air leak and am reusing my pistons and rings since there was no problems with them. Is this a big stupid mistake?

Good idea to replace them while you have it apart, but it will be fine. I've done it many times.

+1
    Agreed on the best practice. I acctually order all new rings and got the wrong ones in I need the ski while my cusin is in town so I said screw it they will last a few hours at least. The dang things only have about 10 hours on them. Gonna start it today!

Well with 10 ten hours I would call them good and run them....personally I wouldn't replace them.

Xl760 on the water/ gp760 in shop for paint
    Are you going to be honing or deglazing the cylinders?? if you are change the rings if not then it should be safe.

+1
    Well I still have about #113 compression in all three cylinders a little lower than before but still ok. I did not hone them I prob should have though. The ski runs great till I go over 5k rpm then it pulls for about 25 seconds and wont go back over 5k. I rode it around messing with the t-handles for about 45 minues getting mixed results. Sometimes it would respond a little better and sometimes not. I am gonna pull the stinger and reset all the t-handles to the recomended setting and try it again. Its prob not going to change anything. I am having a hard time with this ski no matter what I do.

+1
    Some people have mentioned that some of the cylinders are Nikasil coated. If they are DO NOT HONE them! From what I've always been told you cannot use a standard stone hone that you bought at a store on Nikasil. Usually it's best to just put the rings in them and break them in. I know on the Porsche engines, that have Nikasil coating on them, you can take them apart at 90,000 miles and still see the hash marks from when they were originally bored. That's how hard the Nikasil coating is! I would inspect the bore and see how it looks before thinking about honing them.

Thread Information