98 XPL cavitation, different pump, few ?'s

Hello all, I did some trading and ended up with a 98 XPL. I fixed a few things and took it out to the water for its sink or swim test.

Everything seemed to do really well except it was cavitating bad out of the hole, could trim it all the way up which helped it some... After it was out of the hole it seemed ok.

Brought it home thinking it needed a wear ring. Pulled the pump and to my surprise it was the aluminum/bronze pump, which from what I've found is the 97.5 GSXL pump. That model used an o-ring to seal to the shoe..

The impeller has 909 as the last three...which shows to be a 99 GSXL best I can tell....

My questions are, should I just buy the pump upgrade kit from Parker or can I make this pump properly seal to my shoe? Also the pitch is a bit different between what this ski had and what is in it now, should I pickup a replacement impeller too(with the correct pitch)?

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    check the carbon seal see if its wobbles up or down. if so it needs replacement, I'd upgrade to a bearing seal carrier, also sold at parker

+1
    The 98 xpl came with a bronze pump they changed to plastic in 99. The 909 from memory was a 98 xpl stock prop as well. The reason why its cavitating is usually the pump shoe not being sealed to the hull properly as 98s where prone to leak air via the pump cavity.It means pulling the shoe completely off and cleaning it up and resealing with sikaflex.

Or the pump was not sealed to the shoe properly you will need to use a good quality silicon or sikaflex to achieve this and wait 24 hrs to cure .
    The prop should be 16/23 stock have a look here for a good read on how to check pitch.http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-%28Updated%29

Here is a reference pitch chart,print it on a clear sheet of film and check your prop.
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1 On check pump shoe seal to pump and shoe seal to hull.

I replaced wear ring, tried diff prop with minimal improvement. Ended up being the pump shoe with next to no sealant where it seals to the hull.

Boat is a '99xpl

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SURFnTURF View Post
    The 98 xpl came with a bronze pump they changed to plastic in 99. The 909 from memory was a 98 xpl stock prop as well. The reason why its cavitating is usually the pump shoe not being sealed to the hull properly as 98s where prone to leak air via the pump cavity.It means pulling the shoe completely off and cleaning it up and resealing with sikaflex.

Or the pump was not sealed to the shoe properly you will need to use a good quality silicon or sikaflex to achieve this and wait 24 hrs to cure .
    The prop should be 16/23 stock have a look here for a good read on how to check pitch.http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...-%28Updated%29

Here is a reference pitch chart,print it on a clear sheet of film and check your prop.
    Good information, but the 99 XP-L came with a bronze pump not a plastic pump.

Dan (drb)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by drb View Post
    Good information, but the 99 XP-L came with a bronze pump not a plastic pump.

Dan (drb)
    Yes, sorry that's correct I think they changed over in 2000 to all plastic..

Thread Information