What would cause lack of fuel in the fuel system?

I finally got the SLH-1200 water worthy and have been slowly breaking it in over the past few weekends. After about a full tank of break-in mix, I started to open it up a little more yesterday. I was in the middle of a near WOT run and it just died. It started a few times but immediately died and eventually would not start at all.

After getting towed back with my friend's boat and getting it on the trailer, I checked spark and all was good. Then I looked at the water separator and found that it was only half-full of fuel. I filled it manually with my gas can and it started right back up but quickly died again...and the bowl was once again half empty. I looked at the bowl while cranking it there was a little cyclone effect in it but it wasn't filling up.

I was thinking it might be the fuel cut-off valve, but it's after the bowl. Really the only thing before the separator is a single hose that goes to the pickup in the tank.

Any thoughts?

Oh yeah - the tank was about 3/4 full when this happened.

air in the system, check the lines. Otherwise it could be the fuel pump or a clog in the lines.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check for air leaks. Water separator seals, fuel lines and clamps.

Are these the original gray Tempo fuel lines? If so, they should be changed for new. AND the carbs should be taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by stl_sl650 View Post
    air in the system, check the lines. Otherwise it could be the fuel pump or a clog in the lines.
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Check for air leaks. Water separator seals, fuel lines and clamps.

Are these the original gray Tempo fuel lines? If so, they should be changed for new. AND the carbs should be taken apart, cleaned and rebuilt.
    New fuel lines, new carbs. Good point on the separator seal. That's really all it could be. There's only one short fuel line between the separator and the pickup...and only two clamps that could fail. I don't think it could be anything carb/pump related.

Air in the system would work itself out if the things running. If the fuel separator is getting air in it, theres a leak before it, or it itself is leaking.

Make sure the water separator has a good seal, lightly lube the o-ring and then check the fuel system that leads into it.

+1
    The seal on the seperator usually never goes bad actually.. it more the black cap around it that cracks. look for a hair line crack in it..

Update:

I tore in to it this morning and the problem was pretty obvious.

When I was putting the Hurricane back together, I stole the fuel float from Project SLH. I've been running it without the float...but I never put the little plate back on the bottom of the sender. Apparently I hit a good bump and the whole aluminum tube slid down....which left to pickup tube to be just sucking air off the top of the tank.

Put the plate back on the bottom and primed the separator and she fired right up...and kept running.

D'oh.

Thread Information