What on earth is going on? My ski has gone bonkers.

I was riding back from a buddy's house, when all of a sudden, at about 45mph, I lost all power, revs dropped to ZERO, and "CHK ENGINE" came on the display...tried to restart, turns twice, but then it quits cranking, and you can hear a humming sound that sounds possibly like a fuel pump. Pulled it out of the water, checked everything out, no fuses blown, all connections are snug, running super premium gas, pulled all 3 plugs, all look fine. After re-assembly, the darn thing still doesn't want to start. The ski is also throwing a p1517 (Compass out of range), however this is an 04 RXP (185hrs, still running beautifully with not a single problem until now), and RXPs do not have compasses. So I was wondering, could the problem that is causing the p1517 code and confusing stuff (diagnosed as a loose positive terminal cable, tightened it right back up) also cause this bizarre dead SeaDoo problem with it dying once, and not starting?

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Sounds as if your ECU has lost it's mind... very common issue with loose or removed battery terminals on the 04-05's Is your trim indicator showing up on the display???

Nah, trim still works and is indicated and all that jazz, however, a few months ago i lost control and display functions of the trim. I had the ECU reflashed or whatever they did, but it got fixed and worked perfectly just like before. Now, P1517 is back, trim works like a charm, but the dang thing wont turn over. Just cranks twice and quits.

Sounds like the battery has gone short inside under load or vibration.

The 12v will be there, but when you load it up, it buckles inside just enough to short it internally.

Probably scrambled the ecm, but sounds like it needs introducing to our friend BUDS.

Can you swap battery from friends ski to prove or otherwise first?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by -=aLiEno4RXP=- View Post
    Nah, trim still works and is indicated and all that jazz, however, a few months ago i lost control and display functions of the trim. I had the ECU reflashed or whatever they did, but it got fixed and worked perfectly just like before. Now, P1517 is back, trim works like a charm, but the dang thing wont turn over. Just cranks twice and quits.
    I run my 04 RXP with P1517 code with no issues. Dont think that has anything to do with your not starting.
    Have you tried to scroll thru to see if there is another code. I know whenever i have thrown more then one code at a time, the P1517 always shows up first, and if you dont see the other code when riding and dont scroll thru codes you will never see you have another code.

I know that the compass code (p1517) isn't causing the issues directly. Thats a duh. But i'm thinking something along the lines of what Richieb said...the battery must be going bad and self-destructing my electrical system or something along those lines. I have a second nearly identical ski i can swap the battery with, so i will see if thats the problem. I dropped the problem ski off at my local marina to have them take a look at the electrical system and have them fix any potential bugs, so i guess if that doesn't do the trick im in for a new battery. Thank God these are cheap batteries!! Just had almost this exact same problem with my 05 mustang gt, turned out it had a bad cell in the battery. So we will see how this goes, I will keep the thread updated.

Timing chain snapped.

ouch... would have been much better if it were a battery

Thread Information