Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

03 msx 140 problem (with movie)

After it got hot one time and i changed the thermostat it wont go smooth at 1/2 thottle... it starts just fine...idle at 1200rpm, but when i trie to give a little throttle it runs at the speed i give in about 2-3 seconds ( varies ) and it start to fail :S just as if the heat sensor kicks in and the s.l.o.w mode takes over ! but if i rev the engine just when it happens it will go fine again in 3 seconds :P this is just if i keep the throttle steady at around half throttle...i can go from idle to top speed whitout problem :S is this just a computer problem ? If I unplug the battery, is there somthing that will be reset after the first time i got the warninglight ?

thanks for answer

movie---
    Last edited by polaris.msx; 07-07-2010 at 02:38 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris.msx View Post
    After it got hot one time and i changed the thermostat it wont go smooth at 1/2 thottle... it starts just fine...idle at 1200rpm, but when i trie to give a little throttle it runs at the speed i give in about 2-3 seconds ( varies ) and it start to fail :S just as if the heat sensor kicks in and the s.l.o.w mode takes over ! but if i rev the engine just when it happens it will go fine again in 3 seconds :P this is just if i keep the throttle steady at around half throttle...i can go from idle to top speed without problem :S is this just a computer problem ?

If I unplug the battery, is there something that will be reset after the first time i got the warning light ?

thanks for answer
    Has the TPS been changed recently on this engine?

If not, I would suspect the TPS is failing, and needs replacement. Cost is about $100.

What caused the engine overheat?

The Ficht EMM does not need to be reset. As soon as the problem cause is removed, the red warning light on the NGI display should go out and the Check Engine message will go away. If you see the red lamp or warning message, that is because the problem is happening right now.

Click below to find sources for the TPS, and other good info

the engine has just pased 40 hours, and i dont think the tps have din changed. the cause for overheating was that the thermostat was jamed :P got a new and it works now..the check engine light is not there. i found an old thread about one guy with the same sympthomes and he said that the ECM was overheating beacuse some shell had blocked the coolinghose :P ? i dont think that it is the TPS beacuse I can rev it fine. it goes fine if i use the throttle all the time, so it respond`s verry good to the finger-throttle.

+1
    Are you actually seeing a HOT warning and red lamp on the display, and SLOW mode is actually happening?

TPS can go bad in a bunch of different ways. Just because you can reach max RPM does not mean the TPS is good.

there is no light or warning. it just happens...after 1 minut :P the rpm drops down to idle so it is not the slow mode. could be the tps yes, but Im going down later to try it out after i blew air into the coolinghoses

went out to try it, but it was still the same...just this time the check engine light came on :S and this was after 40 sek... the sylinder was not even hot !

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris.msx View Post
    went out to try it, but it was still the same...

just this time the check engine light came on :S and this was after 40 sek... the cylinder was not even hot !
    What exactly did you 'try'?

I don't understand; It was exactly the same, but it was different this time?

i tried to blow compressed air trugh the waterhose that goes trugh the EMM to secure that it gets cooling. i felt that it maby was somthing in there blocking but i im not sure. when i tried it this time it operated just the same...will go at full trottle and idle but not when the throttle is in the same position over a minor time, but the warning-light came this time and the slow mode kicked in :P got it on land and felt the sylinder 2 minuts after an they where NOt hot ! have been doing a little wavejumping here in the north-sea + before i bought the ski it had stood still for mabye a year ! have been riding it for almost 8 hours :S

+1
    Until you install another known good TPS, I don't think we can do much more in terms of proper diagnostics. It may be the TPS alone that is failing.

You can read the service codes stored in the EMM. Might point us towards something other than the TPS...

Click the link below, then click on Ficht

i know that it could be the tps, but just trying to eliminate all other problems before i buy a tps :P somthing says that it has somthing with the fuel pump since the plugs were all just black ! the airfilter is fine. I couldend open the screen in the exhoust either since the bolt was stuck :P but hear how it tries to die out when i touch the throttle... it acts just as the slow- mode is activated when its not :P here in the movie it activates and the max rpm was 3000, but it dident go fine up to that rpm :S compression was 120psi in eatch sylinder

thanks for helping

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information