Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2001 Virage 700cc Left Me Stranded - No spark?

So I took the jet ski out yesterday. It ran great for a few hours. Then the problems started. Somehow the hull started leaking water right at the driveshaft where it comes out of the bearring. I just had to replace the thru hull nylon fitting that actually screws into the hull. It doesnt seem to be leaking where the bearring butts up to the hull. It is leaking right where the drive shaft exits the bearring. When I replaced the nylon thru hull bearring I greased the bearing up real good and inspected the driveshaft. Im taking it that it is one of the seals that goes on the outside of the bearing on either side.

It all started while I was out on the river and the ski just shut down completely. I was riding along and all of the sudden it was almost like someone removed the safety lanyard key and just shut down. While trying to start it the engine turned over but nothing happened. So I tried to crank it over again and nothing happened at all. No clicking or nothing. It was as if the battery died however the gauges were still working. Once into shore I bypassed the solenoid and it would turnover. Well I quit messing with it and trailered it and took it home. When I got the jet ski home I tried to start it with the start button and it would turn over now but had no spark. I pulled the electrical box apart and noticed a very small bit of water and condensation inside the box. So I am letting in dry out now....the water got up to the battery terminals inside the hull also. What do ya'll think?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    When you crank the engine, does the display 'wake up', and then show RPM?

Has the electrical box dried out now?

Did the Reset button pop up on the electrical box?

Does it click or do anything when you press the Start button?

If you remove the lanyard, does it crank with the Start button?

Well

The box has dried out now. The white button on the electrical box is pushed in. It hasnt popped out. When you press the start button the engine cranks over but no fire from the plugs. When you remove the lanyard it still cranks over but still no spark.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by YoCoLifSavr View Post
    Well

The box has dried out now. The white button on the electrical box is pushed in. It hasnt popped out.

When you press the start button the engine cranks over but no fire from the plugs. When you remove the lanyard it still cranks over but still no spark.
    Did it crank the same when you were on the water, lanyard in?

Do the usual no-spark diagnostics

Hold down the bilge button. Bilge pump run?
    Does it start if you hold the bilge button down?

Battery voltage while cranking?

Voltage on the Red/Purple wire to CDI?

Well it cranked fine when I got home with the lanyard in. While out on the water it wouldnt crank at all. You would push the start button and got nothing. No clicking or nothing. Took it to shore and it would turn over only when you bypassed the solenoid. But wouldnt crank when you would try to push the button. Bilge pump runs when you push the bilge pump button down. It wont crank over when you hold the bilge pump button down. Red/Purple wire to CDI is registering 11.8v. Battery cranking at 8.7 volts. My battery needs to be charged. I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem all morning, must be wearing down the battery

+1
    Well it cranked fine when I got home with the lanyard in. While out on the water it wouldnt crank at all. You would push the start button and got nothing. No clicking or nothing. Took it to shore and it would turn over only when you bypassed the solenoid. But wouldnt crank when you would try to push the button. Bilge pump runs when you push the bilge pump button down. It wont crank over when you hold the bilge pump button down. Red/Purple wire to CDI is registering 11.8v. Battery cranking at 8.7 volts. My battery needs to be charged. I have been trying to troubleshoot this problem all morning, must be wearing down the battery
    Battery must be over 10.6 volts while cranking, or you will not have spark.

You can try bypassing the LR Start/Stop module, after confirming the battery has good cranking voltage.

Bypass LR-505 module to diagnose lanyard out crank, lanyard in no-crank condition

Find the LR-505 module in the electrical box.

Disconnect all the LR-505 module wires connected to the terminal board.

Find the Black/White terminal on the terminal board, and move the only other Black/White wire to the Black terminal.

Note: This is just for testing, and needs to be moved back to the Black/White terminal after the test.

Move the Red/Purple wire for the CDI to the Red/Purple terminal where all other Red/Purple wires connect.

You have now by-passed the LR-505 Start/Stop module, and the only way to stop the engine is using the lanyard.
    The Start button will start the engine, but will not stop the engine.

Confirm that the engine now starts. Shut it off by removing the lanyard.

If the engine now cranks and starts as it should with the lanyard in place, and does NOT behave when the LR-505 is reconnected as it was before, then the LR-505 has failed.
    Last edited by K447; 07-07-2010 at 09:00 PM.

Ok so I removed the wires from the terminal board but dont see any black/white terminal. There were only 2 wires i had to remove from the terminal board itself but im lost after that. I cant seem to figure out what you mean by black/white terminal and move only other black/white wire to black termnial

Do you think this lanyard bypass would cause it to lose spark? Right now as it sits

Lanyard in + Bilge Pump Button Pressed + Start button = Nothing at all
    Lanyard in + Start Button = Cranks with no fire
    Lanyard out + Start Button = Cranks with no fire
    Lanyard out + Bilge Button Pressed + Start Button = Cranks with no fire

Hope this might help with confusion

+1
    Ok so I removed the wires from the terminal board but don't see any black/white terminal. There were only 2 wires i had to remove from the terminal board itself but im lost after that.

I can't seem to figure out what you mean by black/white terminal and move only other black/white wire to black terminal
    There should be a total of two Black/White wires inside the electrical box. One is from the LR Start/Stop module. The other comes from the Start solenoid. They are normally connected together.

You unplugged the Black/White wire from the LR module. The other Black/White wire (that connects to the start solenoid) now needs to be connected to ground (any Black wire terminal).

Just did it and still nothing. It turns over but no fire.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information