Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

XL1200L lost rideplate!

For some reason, the rideplate on my 99 XLT fell off! All 4 hull inserts are gone and the Riva plate as well. Of course it quit running when the water level in the hull flooded the engine, and damn near sank, but we managed to get to a beach before it went under. Ripped the speedo wire out as well. So, do I buy stock yamaha inserts and try to resize the holes that are probably too big, or try the R-D inserts for a GPR, but the spacing between the holes is not the same. Anybody been down this road? Thanks...

+1
    Compare the distaces between bolt holes on the gpr to the xl. If they are the same, buy the ones for a 2004-6 gpr. They fit the gpr nice. If not, consider making your own from aluminum stock and epoxying it in place on each side.

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Hello Robsauto, That does happen sometimes with the factory inserts. Thats why yamaha has changed the design, I go to an aluminum place here in town buy some plates line up the holes on the ride plate drill and tap the plates. And you will never have that problem again i would recomend doing the same thing to the pump shoe, You have to take all the glue out from the inside and make sure the surface is flat so you plates fit flush. If your looking for a modded ride plate i can help you with that to. Thank you, Jim

The spacing is different between the GPR and XLT. Weve been making up the various brackets for the GPR pump shoe and rideplate as well as the XLT pump shoe and rideplate. Quite a few here using our brackets.

+1

Thumbs up

Rob,
    I just created a set of inserts from the newer style 05 type for my 99 GP ride plate. give me a call I have another set and I have an XLT plate to use for a template I can make you one easy. Cost you a set of 05 gpr ride plate inserts to replace mine. I also have a protec plate laying in the garage if you want it.

All you old school guys reading this the 05 Pump shoe inserts were 4mm longer than the older GP ride plate bolt holes I cut the insert in half ground a little to make them fit used the ride plate to align them cut two strips of aluminum I bought from home depot put JB weld on one side of them sanwiched the insert in between clamped let it cure and presto 05 inserts with the correct bolt spacing for my 99 GP ride plate. I will post pictures of this Saturday when I finish the install in the hull I had one insert in my 99 that was pulled out through the bottom.

+1
    Cool, thanks guys for the help. One question, if you have exposed threads, like tapping a plate and running a bolt through it, won't water migrate past the threads? I thought that is why the stock inserts were closed on top, so water would not go in. I want to be able to take the plate on and off without having to seal threads from the inside of the hull each time.

Bill, shoot me your phone number or call me on my cell...760-518-8830

+1
    most likley water will not make it throught the treads, matter of fact it would have a hard time making it past the head of the bolt. (frm what I have seem with other projects)

You guys talking about ride-plates breaking off?.................. Thares whats left of my Jims plate...not to mention the cost
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 066.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	468.3 KB 
ID:	9046  

............You can notice the difference between the two, one the left is the stock, right is aftermarket. Don't let the shinny billet alum fool ya, I don't like them, my advise is to get the ones on the left.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 065.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	429.4 KB 
ID:	9047  

Hey Rob, sorry to hear about your rideplate. Yikes.

If you're interested, i have an R&D Ride Plate with the IR mod (skeg removal) for sale....$250.00 shipped to continetal US.

(973) 985-7728

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information