Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Baffled by 1100 Ignition issue. Please help

So, I bought the motor, elecs and driveline out of a 98 STX1100 for my SXR1100. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a Kawi SXR stand up with before mentioned 1100 in it. Ski has run great for a month. The last time I had it in the water, it started to have a bog every once in a while. Wasn't lean, I know for sure.

After this past ride, I was doing some research on here and PWCtoday about 1100 mods. I came across numerous threads talking abou jumping the air temp sensor to get an additional 3 degrees of timing. When I used to race limited ski, that is one of the things we used to do to the sxrs and you could feel the difference. So, I followed the directions to do this to my 1100 motor. I cut the blue wires with red stripe, and connected the two together. I did this inside the elec box so I wouldn't have the wires hanging loose in my hull. Ever since, now the ski will not rev out. Sounds like a wounded sea lion out there. I am guessing it won't rev over 6K, where before it was reving 7300. I went back in and disconnected the two wires and the ski stayed the same. I am 100% completely lost as to what it could be. I took the carbs off, went thru all of them to make sure no clogs, went thru the pick up, filters, checked the reeds, everything looks perfect, but the ski doesn't rev.

I am leaning toward thinking it is the cdi as that was the only thing I changed before it started acting this way. I was going to buy a cdi from a ZXI1100, but oddly, they are different than the cdi for the stx. I am assuming this is because the zxi came with the CATS system.

Anyone ever have a similar problem? I have not removed the flywheel cover, so I don't know if the pick up is wierd or the stator is messed up, but usually when either of those are bad, the ski won't run at all. My ski runs fine up to 5-6K, just won't rev out past that.

Help, please.

Scottie
    email: [email protected]

Changed to a ZXI1100 cdi box, checked spark, fine. Started on trailer, no problem. Took it to the water.... 5800 rpm was the most it would pull. Sounds like it is missing a cylinder or something. What should I check next? Stator? Volt regulator? Feel like I am chancing demons here.

Scottie

I am having the exact same problems as you so maybe we can help each other out. In mine #3 isn't firing completely all the time when under load. Have you felt the side of the cylinders after you have run it to see if any are hotter then others? I just put this motor in this past March and only has maybe 10-15 hrs tops on it.

Im having the same problem. Let me know what you find out here. I have heard so many different things from temp sensor "limp mode" to reed failure to timing to carb tuning to ignition mod and coils. Sounds like basically every part of your engine could cause this issue. I get to about 35 mph then it starts missing. Mine does the same thing if I run a hose to it in the driveway though. I can hear it when I get to the higher rpm it just starts cutting out. Every now and again in the water it will catch and I can run but at most a few seconds before its down again.

Quote Originally Posted by hooptyride View Post
    Every now and again in the water it will catch and I can run but at most a few seconds before its down again.
    EXACTLY what mine does! Mine will run about 50 mph and 6K on the water. If I feather it back from WOT and hold it at 6K for a few seconds then ease into it to WOT it will kick up to and over 7K and shot up to 60. On the trailer it revs out fine though.

Only thing I can think of is the stator is not getting good contact or I have a vacuum leak between the carbs and intake manifold. My probably started I noticed when I got the pop-off set correctly but I didn't coat and seal the gaskets good when I put the carbs back on so I am thinking I may have a vacuum leak causing a fuel leak and it is not getting enough fuel to #3 since I did notice fuel around the base of the carb. That is one thing I am going to look into for mine.

+1
    Check Compression

+1
    have you tried unscrewing the spark plug boots from the wire, clipping about a 1/4 inch from the wire and reinstalling the boot..its is very common on the zxi to have the end of the plug wire corrode and a cyl then not fire

I know I have done both.

I cut all of mine back also and still didnt fix the issue. If you had a leak I would think you would get the same results when its on the trailer? Please keep me posted as to what you find. I thought about gasket issues since mine was raggy. I ordered new set and awaiting arrival. I will let you know results when I put it on. Let me know if you find anything with the stator. I have been hearing cdi cdi cdi but I dont wanna drop $200 on it if its not gonna do anything for me.

It does it sometimes on the trailer too but not as bad because it can free rev, but most of the problems with any ski you won't realize until it is on the water and under load.

CDI I thought was an issue too but all they do is control the gauges and trim, etc. Ignitor or coils maybe, but all my coils test out good and they don't go out often. I am really leaning towards a vacuum leak. I will keep ya posted though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information