Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New to PWC and to this forum. With Drive shaft questions

Me and my good friend decided to take the plunge into Skis. He prefers to buy older units and I prefer buying used but new stuff.

We compromised and we bought a set of skis from a private party.

He took the 01 Versage 1200I and I took the 02 Genesis 1200 .

We had them out last night for a quick run in the lake. Mine ran and stumbled a little but after warming it up , seemed just okay.

His on the other hand started to flood the hull. The Versage started leaking through the hull seal. Also it seemed to run poorly. It would start to accelerate and then just flat out lose and acceleration.

Put them back on the trailer and hauled them both into the dealer . They diagnosed mine with needing new plugs. He started it on the trailer and said it sounded fine, but by the look of the top side of the plugs they needed to be changed.

The Versage was diagnosed as needing a new hull bearing assembly and a drive shaft. Does that seem reasonable, that both would be bad. Regarding the stumbling, they said that the ski would need to be hooked up to the laptop to dx. Anything from a TPS to an injector or who knows what.

He also mentioned that the Versage plugs are 4 times the cost of the mine. I know my buddy ain't feeling really happy right now.

Any ideas or thoughts

Both machines have about 120 hrs

First things first, your friend has a Virage.

The plugs on your carb'd Genesis should be about $3 each...they should be replaced if you don't know how old they are.

On your friend's DI engine, I'd let the dealer scan it and see if the computer picks anything up. Others on here will be able to tell you other tricks to help diagnose it. Could be something simple and cheap or it could be something really bad and expensive. Read the tech here and learn how to diagnose it.

On the shaft, if the seal went bad, it could have taken the shaft with it. Did the dealer actually pull the shaft and through-hull seal and shaft or did he just look inside the hull and tell you this? You can rebuild the seals for about $15 and you can probably find the shaft in the classified here.

Thanks, Yes my Spell checker was assuming I met Versage instead of Virage.

The dealer dx the bad shaft and bearing/seal assembly from the hull. It was not pulled apart at that point. They said it was a few hour job to pull everything to replace the drive shaft and bearing/seal assembly.

I heard last night they found nothing wrong when they scanned the engine. So I don't know what that will mean when we put it back in the water. Because of the short week , the dealer was not confident he would have the parts before the weekend.

What all is involved in diagnosing a bad bearing and drive shaft. And what is involved (time wise) in replacing it.?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    about 30 minutes to replace driveshaft and seal carrier

There is nothing to the job. If its not too late, see if he can get it from the dealer and do it himself. He'll probably save $100+ in labor if he does.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Click the link below, and start reading. There is a lot to learn, and it will be worth your while to do so before you ride either one any more.

The Genesis has carburetors. If the fuel system and carburetors are not 100% clean and correctly adjusted, you can do significant engine damage while just riding around.

With any used PWC, there are many things that should be checked, cleaned, and generally brought up to snuff before you go riding.

The Virage is three cylinder fuel injected, which makes it a Virage TXi model. Diagnostics on the fuel injected engines is very different from the carburetor version, but many checks and repairs can be done without needing the dealer or a special computer connection.

Since these two machines are so different, let's keep this thread for the 2001 Virage TXi, and if need be you can create a separate thread for the 2002 Genesis carb machine.

I appreciate everyones thoughts, advice and warnings. We are both green behind the ears on PWC.

On the Virage, my friend is allowing the dealer to replace the shaft and the bearing carrier and seals. Along with changing out the plugs. Again they found nothing on their computer scan. So I think we will have to see if it will resolve it self next week when it comes back. Even thou I'm hopeful, I'm not holding my breath.

I told the dealer to tell me what I should do the Genesis and he said grease the shaft, change the plugs. I told him to go ahead and do that and give it the once over. I should have it back by the weekend.

Is there something else I should do. ?

And yes I will go read (again ) the article posted above

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    there was an issue with the virage txi where the water feed line for the emm would kink and allow the emm to overheat,have the dealer check that.k447 any other things the dealer should check for??

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    there was an issue with the virage txi where the water feed line for the emm would kink and allow the emm to overheat,have the dealer check that.

... any other things the dealer should check for??
    Make sure the water flow through the EMM is good. Kinked water hose (see third photo) is one possible problem.

The brass elbows on the stator cover can become restricted.

Make sure the water exit hose to the rear of the hull is not crushed or kinked.

I hesitate to list every possible thing that could be checked or changed, since the dealer is supposed to know what he is doing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149948.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	161.0 KB 
ID:	204358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5149936.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	88.2 KB 
ID:	204359   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P5129899.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	204360   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kawasaki Ficht cooling - Clogging hose at stator elbows b.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	204361  

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

I hesitate to list every possible thing that could be checked or changed, since the dealer is supposed to know what he is doing.
    I sure hope so. We asked him to please look over both machines and let us know if he finds anything that needs to be addressed .

BTW, can the dealer also capture the lock code since we don't know them. Or is easier to follow the directions in one of the other links and clearing it out. I know I saw it here somewhere. Both MFI's are unlocked. But don't you still need the programmed lock code?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information