Thread: 97 slt 780

97 slt 780

Hey guys! Need a little help. My bro's ski is having a bit of trouble starting. Hard to start when cold, after started it runs great, no probs there. Then, after the ski sits for a bit in the water, 1 hour or so, again is hard to start. What I have done so far: Checked fuel vent, tank flushed, separator checked clean, fuel filter installed and primer bulb installed. Plugs were wet and fouled once, think he abused the choke.. another time they were dry, i mean bone dry. I used the primer and it felt like it was plugged. My question is, should I just pull the carbs and rebuild or is it possible the fuel pump needs to be rebuilt. I am not sure its the carbs since is runs great after started. Thanks.

Brent

When was the last rebuild on the carbs done? Most here are going to advise a rebuild unless they were done recently. The fuel pump being a problem is also a possibility as well as the fuel selector switch. I was having a similar problem and it turned out to be the switch. Don't ask me why, because I don't know the answer.

There are other guys here with a lot more experience with the quirky fuel issues with these machines that will weigh in on this also, but those three areas are a good place to start. Also make sure that you have updated the fuel lines and don't have the gray ones in there anymore. They get clogged and cause problems as well.

BTW: Welcome to Hulk.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

What was the problem with the switch? What did you do to fix it? I'm not ruling out the carbs, but they seems to have the same problem at the same time, which leads me to believe its the pump. You mentioned the fuel lines, it still has the grey lines on it. What lines do I replace them with and where to get them? I checked the fuel lines and oil lines, they are still in good shape. Sorry for all the questions.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

The petcocks have a rubber seal that will swell in time and cause a restriction in fuel flow.

You should get in practice of turning the petcock off when not in use. If your tank vent is plugged/defective, it can push fuel past the carbs and into the engine causing a real hard start.

Make sure the choke is operational. You mentioned an abused choke? HINT HINT HINT!!!!! Make sure it fully opens and closes.

Also next time it's hard to start, try unscrewing the gas cap and see if that helps.

Let us know what you find.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent22 View Post
    What was the problem with the switch? What did you do to fix it? I'm not ruling out the carbs, but they seems to have the same problem at the same time, which leads me to believe its the pump. You mentioned the fuel lines, it still has the grey lines on it. What lines do I replace them with and where to get them? I checked the fuel lines and oil lines, they are still in good shape. Sorry for all the questions.
    As you can see Xlint gave you some good advice and some hints. He knows the fuel system in and out. I did not think of the vent. There are several different types of fuel line you could use to replace the grey ones that produce goo and gum up the carbs and the link that K447 provided will take you to everything you will need to know.

As Xlint mentioned with the fuel selector switch there is a rubber seal that causes a problem, however I don't know if that was my problem. I was turning mine off and when I turned it back on I would have a hard start or end up flooded. I took it off and cleaned it out and then blew it out with compressed air and my problem went away. My ski was sitting for over 4 years so there may have been an obstruction in there.

Thread Information