Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Can someone clarify how to throttle when jumping?

We did the Colorado River this week to Hoover Dam. On the way through Lake Mojave we had btween 5 and 7 foot waves to jump. I have always jumped waves using my throttle and release when catching air and back on throttle again. One of the guys that was with us said that these ski's are made for constant throttle with the rev limiter and there is no need to let off throttle when jumping ski's around 3'. That the ski unloads and reloads is all a part of the design and that it doesn't hurt the clutch to ride in this manner. Can someone clarify this. I'd be interested in what others have to say even though I find it haard to believe what this guy was saying! But, never too smart to learn something!

Ask your bud to hold it WOT on the water hose and see how long the rev limiter keeps the motor from blowing...

Releasing the throttle is the right way - if the engine is at max RPM when the ski hits the water again, the pump loading will put a major strain on the engine, SC and everything else attached. Doing it a few times may not break it, but it will catch up sooner rather than later...

my 2 cents...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by RayinJapan View Post
    Ask your bud to hold it WOT on the water hose and see how long the rev limiter keeps the motor from blowing...

Releasing the throttle is the right way - if the engine is at max RPM when the ski hits the water again, the pump loading will put a major strain on the engine, SC and everything else attached. Doing it a few times may not break it, but it will catch up sooner rather than later...

my 2 cents...
    I agree with this guy. Let off once you are airborne. There is absolutely no reason not to. Letting the engine rev to the moon under no load is pointless. The engine was no designed to rev that high under no load. You get what's called harmonic vibrations which can cause abnormal wear.

I can tell you this for sure. I have a couple buddies with high performance boats and whenever they get airborne, and the props come out of the water, is back off the throttle. If they reenter the water with the props spinning faster due to no load on them when airborne, it shocks the outdrives and causes excessive wear and tear.

+1

+1
    Just as I was taught..I could see skimming across the water on 8" waves where you are coming unhooked momentarily but I've seen/heard the damage of constantly unloading/loading in extremes.

+1
    you want to hold the throttle when jumping dirtbikes not jetskis... it keeps the front tire from nosediving ... did or does your friend ride dirtbikes? could be where he got his info from?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mojoez51 View Post
    you want to hold the throttle when jumping dirtbikes not jetskis... it keeps the front tire from nosediving ... did or does your friend ride dirtbikes? could be where he got his info from?
    Is that a CCW drag pack I see? Can't see too clearly on your avatar.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    I agree with this guy. Let off once you are airborne. There is absolutely no reason not to. Letting the engine rev to the moon under no load is pointless. The engine was no designed to rev that high under no load. You get what's called harmonic vibrations which can cause abnormal wear.

I can tell you this for sure. I have a couple buddies with high performance boats and whenever they get airborne, and the props come out of the water, is back off the throttle. If they reenter the water with the props spinning faster due to no load on them when airborne, it shocks the outdrives and causes excessive wear and tear.
    What do you know about wave jumping lake boy?..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SHOdude View Post
    What do you know about wave jumping lake boy?..
    Just this old man! lol

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC9105-800crop.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	255.5 KB 
ID:	204362

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC9108-800crop.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	275.0 KB 
ID:	204363

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Is that a CCW drag pack I see? Can't see too clearly on your avatar.
    no they're HRE wheels.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information