Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Water coming out of exhaust

I have just ran my ski on the hose sitting on the trailer still trying to solve this loss of power in the cylinder #3. I have never run this on the hose before until now, but I was getting water shooting from the exhaust when I would rev the ski. Is this normal to have water coming out of the exhaust or could I be ingesting water causing this power loss?

-Thanks

if its a stock exh sys then yes water should run out.

Yea you're right, I had a brain fart when I posted. I was thinking that is why it is called a water box...LoL It is suppose to have some water in there to put out any kind of combustion from raw fuel that may get dumped in there and it keep back fire from occurring.

Since I have never run it out of water or on the hose I have just never seen that before...LoL

I am completely stumped now why cylinder three is not firing all the time and cylinder one gets really hot. I have checked everything from coils, ignitor, checked for vacuum leak etc. Only thing I can think of is I did just put a new upper exhaust tube on this and about that time is when this started happening. When I was putting two of the bolts in I did hear a pop. Thinking maybe I cracked something. Need to get some more three-bond and gaskets before I take it off to inspect it so in case that is not the problem I can put it back together the way it was.

if its the zxi you are speaking of have you run a compression test ? spark test ?

cyl 1 has always been the hotter of all three on the 1100s, there is a coolant upgrade that can be done to the cyl head which involves tapping a new inlet for the front cyl.

the gaskets for the exh [metal] can be reused, permatex ultra [gray/blue/copper/black] can be safely used and will withstand high temps and oils.

the exh manifold is tricky to tifgten down without loading the manifold and causing a crack, start and run the ski on the hose and look for a leak @ # 1 cyl.

Yea I have run a compression test a couple weeks ago after the last time I ran it. It was 130 in all 3. I ohmed out all the coils and did other spark tests and they are getting spark. I have heard #1 always runs hotter then the others but it is running a lot hotter then normal. This has all started really when I think about it since I put the new upper exhaust tube on. The manifold is fine and sealed good and is not leaking, it is is when I put that new upper tube on that has the flush connection on it is when the pop happened and it seems like the problems starting happening. I can't tap a new inlet in it since the motor is under warranty. Also the water discharge from the pisser is a lot hotter then normal as well but I have no blockage. I am wondering if it is running hotter because of #3 not firing all the time. There is no milky white in #3 or on the plug but it is barely worn. I guess I will go out now and take that upper tube off and inspect it.

here is the method to be used to avoid internal or external leaks and stress cracks that could happen latter.

install and torque the exh manifold.
    install and leave hanging, donot tighten the lower exh pipe.
    install and torque the upper exh pipe to the manifold flange, then to the lower exh pipe flange.
    the tighten the support bolts for the lower exh pipe

Yea everything is torqued to spec and in the proper order. I think some of my problem may have been this maybe. This upper tube gets a lot hotter then the other one also. When I just took it off I had water pooled up on the gasket and in the manifold. I didn't have it sealed or coated with three-bond like I should have and like the other one was. So I am guessing maybe I was getting water leaking into the exhaust manifold. It was a little white inside the manifold but wasn't milky so I don't think the water injection if any or what little was bad. So I am going to get a new gasket and for the upper tube to the manifold and some three-bond and coat it real good and let it cure before taking it out.

That still doesn't explain why #3 doesn't fire often except at high RPM's even out of water. I can tell because of the plug and it is not getting as hot as the other two. I think I may also have a vacuum leak between the carb and intake manifold. They gasket even thought new are really worn, but since I was doing tuning and taking them on and off I didn't got them with three-bond and seal surface good. Reason I am thinking it maybe a vacuum leak is when you first start it out of water it surges like a leak. So I am going to get 3 new gaskets for it too and coat them good and let it cure too. If that doesn't solve it. Then I am out of ideas.

Here are pictures from inside the exhaust manifold. You can't really see the white as good as you can when you are standing over it with a flashlight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02172.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	204308Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02173.JPG 
Views:	48 
Size:	125.0 KB 
ID:	204309

if water is getting to # 3 it will white wash that plug, water wont burn in a cyl, try swapping plugs around to diff cyl and see if the problem moves, or get new plugs.

I have swapped plugs and even got new ones and still the same problem. They are not milky so I don't think it is ingesting much water if any. You would think if it was it would be happening to all three cylinders because of how the exhaust manifold is built if you look. I am still going to get a new gasket it and coat it good.

The more I think about it though and when I really noticed the problems is when I finally got the pop-off set. I didn't coat and seal the gaskets for the carbs to the intake at all since I was taking the carbs on and off tuning them and I have notice fuel leaking at #3. So I am think the extra pressure from the carb being set correctly is maybe not making it to the cylinder and is blowing out from a vacuum leak from the gasket not sealed properly. When you start it on the trailer it does surge for a few seconds then idles out. On the water it will it will get up to 6K 50mph and won't go past that. If I ease out of WOT and hold it at 6K and slowly ease back into it it will take off to 7K and up to 60 mph. But what is weird is that plug in #3 still doesn't brown at all. So I am think it is a combination of the two? Really strange though.

+1
    have you tried unscrewing the spark plug boots from the wire, clipping about a 1/4 inch from the wire and reinstalling the boot..its is very common on the zxi to have the end of the plug wire corrode and a cyl then not fire

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information