Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

95 XP DESS Problem

Here it is: starts fine, go out and ride--all ok. suddenly, and inconsistently, the ski shuts off like I pulled the key. Pull key off and back on--no 2 beeps. Let sit for a long time, and it will finally beep and restart. I'm thinking worn out key. Any other ideas?

Subscribing

Bad key, bad post, possible bad connection from post to mpem. Clean and re-grease all connections between post and mpem and do the tests described in the tech manual for the post. Could also be a bad ground from the battery to the engine. Troubleshooting inconsistent problems is always FUN isn't it?

If you have an extra key try that first. The magnet in the lanyard could be weak. Then I would try to re-create the symptom on the trailer/hose. Making sure to drop some water on the carbon seal while doing so. As far as the post is concerned. Once the mpem has verified the correct code the only thing being used is the reed switch/ black wires. If you get it to die I would try to back probe the blk/ylw striped wire and see if it still has 12v on it. That will tell you a bunch.

tnt &Rum, I haven't worked on it yet but, those are exactly the things I concluded upon consideration. Rum, didn't know about the 12v test. Will keep you posted. Thanx all.........

Do you have a manual? The spaghetti elec diagrams can make your head hurt staring at them but they can be helpful for tracing out circuits. If not you can download one here. The most handy thing about them I would say is in Identifying pin locations at the mpem.

http://seadoomanuals.net/manuals/1995-seadoo.php

I'm having a simmilar prob with my 1999 GTX Limited. I've narrowed mine down to rough water. When going over big chop and bouncing around is when mine dies. Once it dies it keeps doing it over and over, even after the slightest wake.

Mine always starts right back up if I pull the key and start again. Sometimes switching keys solves the problem for the day. I cannot get it to shut down on a hose. It needs to bounce like a MF to shut down.

I trade keys with my wifes and the key always works fine on her ski. I'm thinking my problem is the micro switch in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by jsl750&slt750 View Post
    I'm having a simmilar prob with my 1999 GTX Limited. I've narrowed mine down to rough water. When going over big chop and bouncing around is when mine dies. Once it dies it keeps doing it over and over, even after the slightest wake.

Mine always starts right back up if I pull the key and start again. Sometimes switching keys solves the problem for the day. I cannot get it to shut down on a hose. It needs to bounce like a MF to shut down.

I trade keys with my wifes and the key always works fine on her ski. I'm thinking my problem is the micro switch in the post.
    You can't get it to shut down by pulling the lanyard or using the start stop button?

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    You can't get it to shut down by pulling the lanyard or using the start stop button?
    It shuts off if I pull the key. I cant duplicate the conditions that cause the intermittent problem with the ski on a trailer/hose.

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunnerRon View Post
    If you get it to die I would try to back probe the blk/ylw striped wire and see if it still has 12v on it. That will tell you a bunch.
    RumRunnerRon, what does it mean if there is no voltage at the blk/ylw striped wire? Since I cant duplicate my problem on a trailer, I might try to some how rig a pigtail to test the post circuit on the water when it dies. Unlike sbell914 my ski will start right back up if I pull the key and plug it right back in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information