Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    +1

"project undeterred by the budget"

this build will be slow paced. keep that in mind.

i recently acquired an 01 gpr, 95 hours on it, compression within 5 psi across the board, bone stock minus a riva d plate and chip. the seat has also been recovered, but im pretty sure its too purple.

anyways im a car guy, have an 07 f150 and 90 mustang that all see many mods and money. plans with this ski is to get the reliability stuff done first, then do a riva stage 1 kit.

only thing ive done is put plugs in it, take off a gagillion warning stickers, fix up the trailer some, and try to clean in the hull as much as i can.

im pretty sure right now my order of attack is to reinforce the pump tunnel (using the prefab in green hulks store, and following osidebills how to thread), then probably do wave eater clips and couplers. then get hydro turf on since my stock stuff is peeling up in corners. then maybe get an m-line seat cover, or something of the sort.

some where in there i think i might be sending my carbs to osidebill for a rebuild, i have a slight bog when going wot from an idle. ill probably pull them apart and clean them at some point, and if that doesent fix most of it then ill get them rebuilt.

then im thinking after that i should be doing a grate of some sort.

in the mean time im searching and learning as much as i can. little questions bug me, like whether or not my steering/trim nozzle should move and be loose, and whether or not the rattle like sound i get at idle when out of the water is a wear ring starting to go bad, and little stuff like how much grease i should pump into the intermediate housing.

if you guys have any suggestions on what else i should do please post them. my main thing is to protect my investment by doing pump tunnel reinforcement, and protecting the power valves. then getting things that bug me fixed like the handlebars having a click to them, and the turf fixed.
    Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 05-21-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Looks like you're on the right track, I'm doing a lot of the same stuff to my ski right now. Definitely a good idea to go ahead and get all the reliability mods taken care of. Reinforced pump tunnel and waveeater clips are a good start. I'd recommend if you don't plan to switch to premix to inspect the oil lines and ensure that they are clean from any buildup inside or anything that could cause a clog down the road and that they are secured extremely well.

The ski looks great, I love the river shots! I ride a lot on the river too and love it!

As for the riva stage 1 kit; If I were you I might look around some and consider just modding it one thing at a time by yourself. It seems you can get more for your money by just doing one mod at a time making sure all components are evenly matched and testing, testing, testing. I'd recomment getting a gps and a tiny tach or PET2100 so you can quantify the gains from each mod and adjust things accordingly.

Anways, thats just my .02, congrats again on the purchase, I'm sure you're gonna have a blast

+1
    made a thread on this trying to get replies. but here are my plans

im gonna continue to ride it stock the rest of this summer. i dont think the pump tunnel not being reinforced is going to hurt me for another month or so.

i plan on taking it to school with me this winter, so i can winterize it and then work on it and not worry about rushing/ having it back together before the weekend, ect.

so my plans so far are as follows. correct me if i have something down i should not.

-pump tunnel reinforcement bought through the greenhulk store, done by following osidebills write up, using the pump shoe brackets, 5200, ect.
    -wave eater clips and springs
    -switch to premix, block off plate, zip tie up floats for oil.
    -riva pump seal kit
    -riva top loader intake grate
    -riva performance ride plate
    -hydro turf matts
    -riva bildge pump kit, the standard 115 dollar one with the non handlebar mount switch.

thats 920 dollars ish. all new. might try to scoop up some things on here used, such as the plate, and grate.

wear ring? should i do that? ive got a slight chatter at idle out of the water, but cant hear anything making noise when hitting waves and getting air. how to tell for sure?

and then im gonna pull the carbs and clean them. if they are bad ill probably be sending them to osidebill for rebuilding.

goal here is to have a reliable river ski, with occasional use in salt water. not concerned about mph and stuff just yet. after all of the above is settled, ill probably do heads, free flow exhaust kit, then solas impeller to make it a full stage 1 ski.

questions/comments/concerns.

plan is to maybe attend mudbug

thanks for your help you all greenhulk is an awesome forum

+1
    so its at 108 hours now. my dad and i went and rode it 45 miles today. and after this thread:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...dle&highlight=

i bought a compression checker and it dropped the number 2 piston. 40 psi. other 2 are 110 psi. not too happy about this but im gonna rebuild it. so im goin to make a thread right now on my rebuild options. if you want to help give input. ill link it to this thread later.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...29#post1504529

+1
    from my rebuild thread

i did this today in about 2 hours.

cyl 1 looks good:

this is cyl 2. the one that has 40 psi. :

see how the piston on the left edge of it is bent up kinda? i think thats where the ring blew. it looks like its just the pison though. whats the easiest way to spin the motor a little but without kicking the starter so i can see the rest of the cyl wall. im really curious to see what the wall looks like if its bad ill have to port right?

and 3:

then this is the underside of the head:

see the middle piston has all that junk on it, im guessing thats little pieces of my ring.

then the top looks fine:

and the carbs before i rip them apart

so i need to know if i should send out my crank and get it welded/trued and get the jugs cleaned up or bored and if i should use oem yamaha stuff or just go with an sbt rebuild kit.

also, to pull the jugs, do i have to disassemble the powervalves or just separate the couplers so i can pull them? and i know the header has to come off. i can do the rings and pistons with the crank case in the ski right.

right now im looking at sending the carbs to oside bill to get freshened up i guess

and im going to switch to premix with the island racing kit

and get an sbt top end kit if no one has any objections. unless wfos porting can be afforded.

opinions? ideas?

+1
    so my plan i believe is as follows. ive already ordered a premix kit from island racing ( i would have gotten it through the store but the riva one doesn't come with the oil line caps for the carbs)

my riva high flow fuel filter is on backorder.

im going to send the carbs to oside bill and order pro x pistons/rings, yamaha gaskets through riva racing. and i think they are going to talk me into buying the new wrist pin bearings. in the mean time i gotta pull all the stuff apart, use muronic acid on the cyl jugs, im gonna clean out all the mildew that cant dry out cause the cabrs and stuff are over it. i can get the premix stuff installed while im waiting on 900 dollars to accumulate.

then this winter pump tunnel reinforcement, wave eaters, grate/plate, hydro turf and maybe a holeshot kit.

+1
    so this is with the jugs off. this is the number 2 piston.

block off kit:

found a good cap, im gonna zip tie it too, i had to get some from work.

can't nobody superman like this:

so this middle cyl. should i buy some sort of a honing thing to clean up the cyl walls? im really not sure on if the wall is good or not.

I'd rather be jet skiing Saltwater n Premix's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed View Post
    can't nobody superman like this:
    Hhahahahahaa

+1
    oil injection block off is done ( see superman pic). plates on, floats tied up, tank capped off and emptied.

carbs are with ups going to oside bill for a rebuild.

everything is broken down as far as it can go. old pistons are off the crank and everything.

my yamaha dealer thats 30 minutes away said hed run a hone through my cyl a couple times to freshen it up for free. score.

other than that im cleaning out the hull, and cleaning all the bolts while i look for money to buy the rest of the stuff i need.

anyone link me to a good pressure checker? like where you can click buy, instead of this mikuni one i cant find?

If you don't mind putting in the time you can make a pretty basic pressure testing setup for cheap. You'd just need to make a plate with a rubber gasket to cover up the exhaust ports and the same for the intake ports. Then get a hand pump and incorporate a pressure gauge inline between the pump and engine.

If you don't mind spending the money, Lowell makes a really nice kit for pressure testing GPR's, check it out here, I think it's about $90
    http://www.2-stroke-porting.com/GPR%...ure_index.html

Not sure, if you've read the thread or not but there is a really great sticky on here covering a lot about pressure testing 2-stroke motors and tips on making your own pressure testing setup, here's a link
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...Stroke-Engines

Great work so far, keep it up and you'll be back on the water in no time! Got a good laugh out of those superman pics

Page 1 of 43 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information