2002 Freedom Electrical Problem

I am working on a friends 2002 Freedom. It has no spark. If I hold the bilge button in it will start. I was reading about switching the red/purple with the orange in the electrical box but was alittle confused. Do I have to make a jumper to link the red/purple and the orange together? Another problem I may have is this. He cranked it until the battery died. I pulled the battery from mine. When I hooked it up it had a considerable arch. I noticed that the 15 amp circuit breaker was starting to melt ant the wires coming from it were pretty hot. If I unplugged the stator the arch and the hot wires went away. Do I have 2 problems on my hands? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dyemondav View Post
    I am working on a friends 2002 Freedom. It has no spark. If I hold the bilge button in it will start. I was reading about switching the red/purple with the orange in the electrical box but was alittle confused. Do I have to make a jumper to link the red/purple and the orange together? Another problem I may have is this. He cranked it until the battery died. I pulled the battery from mine. When I hooked it up it had a considerable arch. I noticed that the 15 amp circuit breaker was starting to melt ant the wires coming from it were pretty hot. If I unplugged the stator the arch and the hot wires went away. Do I have 2 problems on my hands? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Did you connect the battery backwards, even for a moment?

The Freedom already has the Red/Purple to Orange CDI connection, from the factory. Nothing to change there.

It sounds like you have a damaged LR voltage regulator (possibly LR Yellow shorted to ground, which will draw heavy current through the stator charging coil).

I would suggest replacing;
    LR-505 Start/Stop + voltage regulator 4010648
    Circuit breaker

Ohm check the stator, replace if measurements are not within spec. Be sure to check ohms to ground.

I am the friend with the 2002 Polaris Freedom. I replaced the control regulator and the board that the lines plug into. I am still having the same problem trying to start. When we hold in the bilge button it starts, when we let go it stops. Could there be another solution?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by daddycasey View Post
    I am the friend with the 2002 Polaris Freedom. I replaced the control regulator and the board that the lines plug into. I am still having the same problem trying to start. When we hold in the bilge button it starts, when we let go it stops. Could there be another solution?
    The LR module is the prime failure suspect.

The melted wires imply the Reset Button should also be replaced, along with any damaged wires.

If the battery was connected backwards, then there may be more damage.

The LR module is new today. The battery was never connected backwards. It started with the bilge pump button on, then nothing. Could the lanyard button be the problem. Also, I didn't see any damaged wires.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dyemondav View Post
    ... When I hooked it up it had a considerable arc.

I noticed that the 15 amp circuit breaker was starting to melt ant the wires coming from it were pretty hot.

If I unplugged the stator the arc and the hot wires went away.

Do I have 2 problems on my hands? Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by daddycasey View Post
    The LR module is new today. The battery was never connected backwards.

It started with the bilge pump button on, then nothing. Could the lanyard button be the problem.

Also, I didn't see any damaged wires.
    Disconnect and ohm test the stator Yellow to Red/Purple coil. Should have no connection to engine ground.

Thread Information