Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

installed led tail lights, brakes and blinkers work, untill i turn parking lights on?

like the title says installed these

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/6-Ova...item4aa2c1e00a

item number e bay 320558194698

my brakes and blinkers work perfect, until i turn the parking lights on. once they are on, no brake no blinkers.... ideas? i am stumped

+1
    My guess is that you have some wires mixed up. If you have a volt meter, first check that you are getting the proper voltage at the proper pins on the vehicle side. One pin is for ground, marker lights, left and right. The left, right and brake would use two of the 4 wires (turning on left and right together is brake). The marker (parking) lights are the 4th wire. If that is ok, make sure that your ground is actually going to ground and not to one of the pins like the marker lights.

For the 4 pin connector from left to right you have: ground, marker, left and right.

+1
    my normal lights before the leds worked fine as well as other trailer. kept getting water in them and burnin bulbs out, which is why i went with these ones. like i said everything works fine till i turn my markers on.... seems like the brakes and markers turn on, because they are super bright. i will check out what you said.

one more question, one of the wires on the leds goes directly to trailer, should i run a separate wire off the ground loom into the trailer?

let me clear something up, once i turn the markers on only they light up, but they seem twice as bright as what the blinker and stop wouild normally look like with out the markers on. almost as if both the blinker and stop is on at once as soon as markers are turned on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 98gsxl951 View Post
    my normal lights before the leds worked fine as well as other trailer. kept getting water in them and burnin bulbs out, which is why i went with these ones. like i said everything works fine till i turn my markers on.... seems like the brakes and markers turn on, because they are super bright. i will check out what you said.
    It almost sounds like you have the markers hooked up as the turn/brakes, but then you would not have a working left / right blinkers on the trailer. With the LED lights, they are "dimmer" for the markers and get to full brightness for the turn / brakes. All the wires are color coded, so it would seem odd that they could get mixed up?!?!

one more question, one of the wires on the leds goes directly to trailer, should i run a separate wire off the ground loom into the trailer?
    Yes, that is the "ground" wire and that is normal. One part has to be hooked up to the frame at the vehicle side near the connector. Then each tail light also need to be grounded to the frame. I think that everyone is trying to save a dime, so that is why they don't include two extra wires that run from the connector to the lights. It seems unlikely that the trailers wouldn't have a solid ground from front to rear, but you never know. If for some reason, it wasn't, it certainly would not hurt to run a wire from the connect side of the loom to each tail lamp instead.

let me clear something up, once i turn the markers on only they light up, but they seem twice as bright as what the blinker and stop would normally look like with out the markers on. almost as if both the blinker and stop is on at once as soon as markers are turned on.
    Yeah, it sounds like something is wired incorrectly. Is it possible that they vehicle was wired incorrectly with the old lights? It may still be worth a test to see if the voltages on the 4 pin on the vehicle are correct. If you notice on the loom that two of the 5 wires are "paired" together. These are usually yellow/brown and green/brown wires. These have to match the wires on the LED tail lights.

You know, in thinking about this, it may be possible that if the LED lamps were wired incorrectly (say in China), you may have to reverse the yellow and the yellow/brown wires (left) and the green and green/brown (right) that attach to the loom. If they had them backwards, then the LED would always be full brightness when you turn on the marker lights. If you then hit the brake or turn, since they are already full bright, you would not notice any change! It might be worth a try to reverse those.

+1
    i will play with them next time i get a chance, thanks for your time

can you take some pics these look pretty good might want to jump on a set

+1
    I had a similar issue after rewiring my Triton LXT & replacing the taillights with LED's. Everything worked fine after installing the new lights, but after a long drive & a day of riding I noticed the brake light & blinker wasn't coming on on one side when my wife pulled the truck out of the ramp. I figured one of my connections had come loose, so I pulled the light off & everything was fine. Then after reinstalling the light, it started working properly & the light on the other side started doing the same thing. It turned out the small yellow sidemarker lights on the front of the trailer were kind of rotted out causing a short. After replacing them, the taillights worked fine.

+1
    trailer has added ground wire, removed the connection to the orange side lights still no blinker or stop when i turn the parking lights on, but if t hey are off everything works perfect.....

+1
    Here is what I would like you to try. Reverse the two leads going to the tail lights. Leave the ground one where it is, but reverse the other two. Just do this on one side to start. If this has a "connector", if you have some alligator clips, then use those so you don't have to cut the wires. Just reverse the two. Then turn on the marker lights. See if this one is now "dimmer" than the other. If so, then try your blinkers and see if you get the correct results.

+1
    yea i re read your post after i posted this. i will try that. like i said seems like when the parking lights are on they get super bright like brakes, blinkers and parks are on at once.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information