Piston Ring & Piston Fitment, Advice Needed

Guys

Im looking for a ny tips or vid's for this job, Ive been give a tool that will allow me to compress the rings into place, however im concenred fitting the piston and working it up the cylinder jug

By this i mean that im guessing you have to compress the rings as you slide the jug/ pot over the piston.

I know t use loads of 2stroke oil in the job but im just worried about dropping the jug down over the piston ive only ever tapped pistons down before not worked then up a cylinder sleeve

Also im guessing the rings can be stepped on as normal is this right?/

Any vids or pics would be cracking

thanks
    neil

+1
    first thing to do is center the ring on the piston land. look at the piston and youll see a pin sticking out inside the piston land. (thats the groove that the ring sits in). That ring has to be centered so when you close the ring, that pin is in between the ends of the ring. then do the other one and get it postioned.. then try the compressor and see if the ring goes inside the piston land. if it does, then do the next one,, wiggle the jug a little and it should slip right on and down onto the piston.

you may have to try that a couple times untill you get both positioned correctly.. if you dont do that and try to push the piston into the jug, you will snap the ring.. and thats bad.

I get ya, so the land is the gap where the ring sits in and theres a line up like bump the the 2 ends of the rings compress onto right??

thanks again
    Neil

+1
    correct! wipe the inside of the jug with 2-stroke oil and the piston and put some in the lands too. that will help it slide on.. keep a rag handy, that stuff is slippery!

Cheers buddy

one other quick question sorry to be a pain, whats the run in routine for a new piston, do i need to put some 2stroke oil into the fuel tank as well

+1
    I'm not an expert one that one! You could step up the oil mix ratio to 32:1 instead of 40:1.... Basically, you want to run the ski to make the piston rings Really push hard against the walls of the piston to seat it correctly. if your just easy on it, it wont seat properly.. warm the ski up first about 8 mins..then take it out and do short fast runs. this will slam the rings against the piston walls fairly hard and make the rings "take a set" so to speak.. being easy on them wont create that "set" your looking for..

Don't ride it hard for miles. that could hurt it.. just cruise around a little varying the speed and every so often hit it hard for about 50-100 yards.. that will make the rings seat//

of course, before you do all this, make sure you know what happened before with the other piston and jug. whatever the problem was needs to be addressed first. then break-in can begin.

remember if you dont find out what caused the problem, it will happen again,, I would feel awful if that happened breaking it in on my advice.

Let another members have thier say about your issues before and with the break in procedure.. I read how to break new rings in off another website.

some rings have teflon on them and that wears off after a while running. Not sure if your rings have teflon on them. I'm no expert on the subject...

The reason for letting it cool off a little between fast runs is.. because if your rings get to hot from BMEP (break mean effective pressure) thats the pressure created in the combustion chamber,,,, the heat will heat up the rings so hot and cause the oil to glaze the cylinder bore and then the rings cant seat because the glazing prevents it from happening.. thats why short burst runs is so important during break in..

if it does get glazed, the jug would have to be rehoned and new rings and try again..

maybe Exlint or Keddano could answer this question too for ya.. they have way more experience than I.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    ...whats the run in routine for a new piston, do i need to put some 2-stroke oil into the fuel tank as well?
    During engine break-in with a working oil injection system you add pre-mix oil to the fuel tank at 50:1 ratio. That will be plenty of oil, combined with the stock oil pump flow.

Cheers guys

Thread Information