Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Changing out prop

What all needs to be taken loose in order to pull the shaft out safely without doing any damage to my ski? Looking at it now i see that i will need to disconnect the trim and steering rods, i also see that the pump support bracket will need to be removed. Once i have the bracket removed there are 2 other bolts that i see on the bottom of the pump when these are removed will i then be able to pull the shaft? Can anybody tell me if i am missing any crucial steps here? And lastly the nut that holds the prop in place those threads are lefthanded correct? Thanks for any and all information, Jason

+1
    I think you got it. The reverse bucket needs to be detached (1 slip on style hookup). And then all the tubes, bolts, etc. need to come off. Take your time. The threads are reverse threaded.

If anybody has detailed instructions on changing a prop on a fz pm me...I am doing mine tomorrow and i am very new to working on these machines.....
    I was a auto tech for years....but these are a little different.....

+1
    Your biggest challenge will be having the right tools to get the prop off. A bench vise is highly recommended. When you put the prop back on use lots of anti sieze and torque it pretty good.

Taking money away from the Z06 Fund
    +1
    I don't use a vise and in my opinion it's only a recommendation, not a necessity though. Go to sears and get yourself a 1 1/8" Socket 1/2" drive or bigger, 6 point. This fits around the SHO/FZ Driveshaft holding tool. You can use a 1/2" breaker bar on the socket and basically stand on the shaft. For the Stock prop, you can use a 27mm 6point box wrench with a large pipe over the wrench. Remember to go clockwise for loosing the prop. I've got a 5 foot piece of pipe I put over my wrench and that combined with the socket over the shaft holding tool does the trick. You can even back up your car tire over the breaker bar if need be if its just you.

+1 on the Anti seize on the prop threads. Also some spline grease on the end of the shaft splines before putting it back in.

Brian- looks like my Prop is out for delivery to you. Call me later and I can help you out.

+1

This summer I did the breaker bar and tire trick. It works! I also had to use a length of fence pole as an extension on my pipe wrench.

Banned User
    +1
    This works great for me
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1850.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	204436  

Is there anything readily available to seal the impellar housing to pump? Like something at Lowes? I used Motorcraft High performance silicone...Not sure if that will work good. IMO should be fine, but I am a rookie to this stuff. Any input?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Briangsxr1000 View Post
    Is there anything readily available to seal the impellar housing to pump? Like something at Lowes? I used Motorcraft High performance silicone...Not sure if that will work good. IMO should be fine, but I am a rookie to this stuff. Any input?
    3M 4200 should work fine. Yamaha recomends threebond 1211 but it's hard to get locally. Riva sells it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information