97 Kawasaki STX 1100

How do I prime the oil pump I just replaced? 97 750 sts

I have a 1997 Kawasaki 750 STS I just rebuilt the motor on. I removed all the oil pump hoses and blem them out and reconnected them. Now Im trying to purge the system. I loosened the little screw at the pump and I have alittle bit of oil dripping out. I started the engine but no oil is coming from the oil pump hoses to the carb. I removed the hoses so I can watch for flow while the engine started. NO oil. What do I need to do??? Ive mixed my fuel 50 to 1 as recomended during breakin. Someone please help...

Do you know for sure if the pump is seated in the notch correctly and is turning?

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
    Do you know for sure if the pump is seated in the notch correctly and is turning?
    Well, I had to try installing it like 3 times before I finally got it to go in flush. I felt with my fingers were the shaft was lined up and turned my oil pump so it sat the same direction when installing. It is in and flush with the case. The bolts are tight. Im assuming it only goes in one way otherwise it wouldnt sit flush with the case.....Please advice me if Im wrong.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    I did here I should use a drill and prime the pump to get the fluids flowing. I did not do that... If I remove the pump and use a drill what direction do I need to turn it.... ANd is it necassary. I was thinking if Im running 50 to 1 or 32 to 1 mix in the gas tank the oil pump will catch up whiile im running it on the lake. Good or bad idea?

I believe it is clockwise but yea that would be a good idea. I would also take the cap off the oil tank while you do this and until the motor can pull it on it's own. Thinking in the same way you would bleed a brake system.

It only goes on one way and it sounds like you have it on right if it is sitting flush. Yes you are doing it right by running premix in the tank as well as the oil injection during break in. No more then 50:1 though when running on oil injection. That is what is recommended.

Besides that I am sure you might have done the obvious like check the lines and make sure you have no obstructions in the lines and tank.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    I believe it is clockwise but yea that would be a good idea. I would also take the cap off the oil tank while you do this and until the motor can pull it on it's own. Thinking in the same way you would bleed a brake system.

It only goes on one way and it sounds like you have it on right if it is sitting flush. Yes you are doing it right by running premix in the tank as well as the oil injection during break in. No more then 50:1 though when running on oil injection. That is what is recommended.

Besides that I am sure you might have done the obvious like check the lines and make sure you have no obstructions in the lines and tank.
    Cool, I found my manual and in the maintance section it states if you ever run your system out of oil remove the lower hose from the tank to the pump and fill the tank with oil. Once the oil starts flowing out connect it back to the pump. That allows the air to get out of the line. Then loosen the screw on the top of the oil pump 2 turns and wait for oil to drip out then retighten the screw. Then it says start your ski and let it idle until the lines from the pump to the carbs show oil. Thats scary!! letting it idle ... I was thinking maybe I should try getting a oil can and manually feeding oil in the lines from the carb to the oil pump by removing both ends of the hoses....

If you have it on the hose sitting on the trailer then it is not a problem letting it idle, especially if you are running premix in addition to it as well as you are suppose to it won't hurt anything. If you don't have a flush kit to hook it up to a hose then just take it to the lake and put it in the water while still sitting on the trailer will work too. I don't know how busy your lakes are where you are at so you may have to do it during the week or on a off peak off which would allow you to sit on the ramp without ticking anyone off.

97 Kawasaki STX 1100
    If you have it on the hose sitting on the trailer then it is not a problem letting it idle, especially if you are running premix in addition to it as well as you are suppose to it won't hurt anything. If you don't have a flush kit to hook it up to a hose then just take it to the lake and put it in the water while still sitting on the trailer will work too. I don't know how busy your lakes are where you are at so you may have to do it during the week or on a off peak off which would allow you to sit on the ramp without ticking anyone off.
    Took it to the lake as you suggested and let it idle for a bit. Then checked the lines everything was great... I ve got oil drips at idle. It ran great... Very pleased with the ski. I have a polaris sl 750 too. This ski, the kawasaki wasnt as fast but it sure road the waves alot nicer... Much better if you dont wanna get beat up...

Glad to hear you go things going. Kawa tend to handle the chop good.

Thread Information