+1

Unhappy Sad day on the water in philly

Earlier today an amphibious tourist bus/boat with 35 passengers and 2 crew lost engine power and drifted into the path of a tug propelled barge on our local river. The barge drove over it, flipping the boat and sinking it.

Fortunately the crew knew they were getting hit and the passengers grabbed life vests right before impact. 35 of the 37 were rescued. 2 are still missing and presumed dead.
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...delaware-river

Strange as it may sound. This morning i was having a conversation with my father(non-boater) over who has right of way rights on the water. Powerboats, sailboats, commercial traffic. I explained to him that commercial ships can't and won't stop. You get out of the way or get run over. 3 hours later, i see this on t.v and he heard it on car radio. He calls me and says. Are you watching the news. Can you believe that? I said. "Told ya". Pretty eerie coincidence.

+1
    Yes that is very sad.

It's very impotant to remember,the larger the craft,has the right-of -way. The large ships do not stop or turn.
    PWC are the smallest and most manuverable and have NO right -of-way.I hope everyone Stays safe and out of the way this summer.

Very sad news!Without changing topic,i had a similar story,we were talking at work about that huge skyscraper in Hong Kong and "imagine an elevator failing from that height" when a few days later,it did in fact drop from 6 or 7 floors!That really freaked me out!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    Earlier today an amphibious tourist bus/boat with 35 passengers and 2 crew lost engine power and drifted into the path of a tug propelled barge on our local river. The barge drove over it, flipping the boat and sinking it.

Fortunately the crew knew they were getting hit and the passengers grabbed life vests right before impact. 35 of the 37 were rescued. 2 are still missing and presumed dead.
    http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/...delaware-river

Strange as it may sound. This morning i was having a conversation with my father(non-boater) over who has right of way rights on the water. Powerboats, sailboats, commercial traffic. I explained to him that commercial ships can't and won't stop. You get out of the way or get run over. 3 hours later, i see this on t.v and he heard it on car radio. He calls me and says. Are you watching the news. Can you believe that? I said. "Told ya". Pretty eerie coincidence.
    Very sad. One report I heard said the duck boat had been drifting for like 10 minutes before the collision. Seems like that would have been ample time to get on the VHF & alert other traffic to his position & situation.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    Yes that is very sad.

It's very impotant to remember,the larger the craft,has the right-of -way. The large ships do not stop or turn.
    PWC are the smallest and most manuverable and have NO right -of-way.I hope everyone Stays safe and out of the way this summer.
    This is not correct. Size doesn't dictate who is the stand-on vessel. The starboard vessel has the right-of-way unless the other vessel is a sailboat operating under sailpower only, or as you mentioned is a large commercial vessel or any other craft with limited ability to manuever. If two sailboats are on a collision course, the boat on the port tack must give way. A PWC has the same rights as anyone else on the water, so other boats should give way to us as if we are the stand-on vessel. Unfortunately, many recreational power boaters have little to no seamanship knowledge, so it's often safer to just assume the other guy is a moron & adjust our course so that it doesn't intersect with his.

Thread Information